promoting parameters/inputs from a custom VOP node

22654   3   1
14 posts
Hi,

I'm having problems with promoting parameters/inputs from a custom VOP node. So far I haven't been able to find any info on what is needed for the default mechanism(middle click ->Promote parameter) in houdini to work.

To be more specific I have a shop network where only my custom VOP nodes are allowed plus the houdini's “Parameter” VOP. I would like to be able to promote the parameters/inputs from any VOP inside as parameter to the parent shop node as you can do when using material builder, but can't get my head around this. So far my attempts are failing - houdini is crashing with log attached below.

Thanks.

Attachments:
crash.untitled.milagrigorova_7991_log.txt (1.1 KB)

2535 posts
Try selecting the node and then look in the Properties window. Each parameter in the network node will also be a property with a Gear icon next to it. Click the gear property to promote it.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
14 posts
I don't have this menu next to parameters. Should I add it somehow when creating the parameter template for the node or this should be added automatically for VOPs? Moreover some of the node inputs are not present as parameters, how should promote those then?

Thanks.
29 posts
millag
I don't have this menu next to parameters.

As of Houdini 17 the gear is to the right of each parameter.

From Deborah Fowler's Houdini Interface Tips [www.deborahrfowler.com], I also found out you can MMB on a VOP node to promote a parameter.

Attachments:
Promote Parameter.jpg (91.0 KB)
Promote Parameter MMB.jpg (41.3 KB)

• Quick Links