Proper conversion of vertex attribute UVs

7219   11   2
22 posts
I'm running into the problem that my UVs (in the form of vertex attributes) are not being brought over properly into max. What I get is disconnected polygons in the UV channel, which I have to re-weld using a small radius. I'm basically running into the same problem as is described in the thread here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/55014/ [www.sidefx.com]. The vertex split method works but it's obviously not what I want and just shifts the problem into a different area.

I did read in a different thread that fbx export corrects for that, so it would be great if this could be done with the the houdini engine for max too .
Staff
387 posts
Thank you for bringing this up! I will log a bug/RFE for maintaining the welds on the UVs.

- Brandon
Edited by BrookeA - Oct. 15, 2018 10:24:59
22 posts
Great! Thanks
555 posts
hope this helps but I found that the only one that works is the uvproject, set the Group Type to Points…works perfectly.

So I tested a uvpelt, then added a uvedit after so I can set the Group Type to Points…didn't work…tried other ‘ways’ to set the Group Type to Points…none worked.

So seems like there is some dark magic in the uvproject>Group Type Points that makes it work…

ahhhh….checked the spreadsheet, only the uvproject with Group Type = Points has uv set, all other uv operators…..uv's get all wiped out….
Edited by vusta - Nov. 12, 2018 01:01:42
Staff
387 posts
vusta
hope this helps but I found that the only one that works is the uvproject, set the Group Type to Points…works perfectly.

So I tested a uvpelt, then added a uvedit after so I can set the Group Type to Points…didn't work…tried other ‘ways’ to set the Group Type to Points…none worked.

So seems like there is some dark magic in the uvproject>Group Type Points that makes it work…

ahhhh….checked the spreadsheet, only the uvproject with Group Type = Points has uv set, all other uv operators…..uv's get all wiped out….

When you say the UVs are getting wiped out, do you mean that the UVs get wiped out in 3ds Max? If so, which build are you using? Recent daily builds of the plugin should not be experiencing this problem.
555 posts
BrandonA
vusta

When you say the UVs are getting wiped out, do you mean that the UVs get wiped out in 3ds Max? If so, which build are you using? Recent daily builds of the plugin should not be experiencing this problem.
in H spreadsheet itself. With the uvproject (Group Type Point), you see values for each point…in the 3 uv columns. For other ops…the 3 uv columns are no longer there.
22 posts
Is the UV fix still in progress? I've been waiting for a while and hoped 17.5 would contain the fix but it seems that there is very little work done on the houdini engine for max at the moment. Unfortunately it's of no use without proper UVs for me =/
Staff
387 posts
racoonart
Is the UV fix still in progress? I've been waiting for a while and hoped 17.5 would contain the fix but it seems that there is very little work done on the houdini engine for max at the moment. Unfortunately it's of no use without proper UVs for me =/

Hi, we have been very busy up until recently with the PDG release!

Updates for the Houdini Engine 3ds Max plugin are being worked on right now, and this is one of the top priority issues that will be fixed.
22 posts
Very happy to hear this! Thanks for the info
Staff
387 posts
This will be fixed in tomorrow's build of 17.0 and 17.5!

Please let me know if you're still having any issues.
2 posts
布鲁克A
This will be fixed in tomorrow's build of 17.0 and 17.5!

Please let me know if you're still having any issues.
Hey, I'm using HoudiniEngine 19.0 for Max. And I still have same uv problem in uv2. Whether if this only fixed for uv1 yet?
118 posts
We are having the same issue with UV2. UV1 is fine, just not UV2.

Edit* - UV2 channel is now welded and not separate UV2 islands as of 19.5.381. https://www.sidefx.com/changelog/?journal=&categories=55&body=&build_0=&build_1=&show_versions=on&show_compatibility=on&items_per_page= [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by GlenD - Sept. 23, 2022 08:09:32
  • Quick Links