Apply a material to an L-system, but not its leaves

1282   3   0
56 posts
Hello-
Is there a way to apply a material to an L-system, but not its leaves?
-Scott
436 posts
There maybe multiple ways. One I think of is grouping. As you are creating L-Sys and progenies, group them. LSys and branches go into L_Sys_prim_grp group, and progenie leaves into L_sys_leaves_grp group. Append Material SOP and assign materials per group basis. Groups is really how materials should be handled in Houdini.
56 posts
Ah, OK, I'll do that. Thanks.
-Scott
56 posts
It is applying the correct color to the tree (brown) and the leaf stems (green), but not the leaves. The leaves are left in what looks like a default off-white color.

I color the leaves using the color node before applying them to the tree. If that didn't work, I'd expect them to be colored by the L-system node because they appear in the geometry after the leaf stem.

It's a fairly simple scene, just with a tree and a sky-blue background made of a grid. The tree is a simple one just with two branches with leaves on them. The leaves are constructed of a circle with the points moved around to create a shape more like a leaf. Some of the tree l-system parameters are key-framed to create an animation.

I'm attaching the hip file:
Image Not Found

-Scott

Attachments:
Tree6.hipnc (318.1 KB)

• Quick Links