Whitewater and foam shading

6128   3   0
6 posts
I'm currently using Houdini 16.5 with the shelf Emit Particle Fluid and Whitewater also.

I'm creating a stream/flowing river so i'm looking for a more “watery” looking foam. As you can see it's soft and cloudy, I've tried lowering the pscale to 0.8 but it doesn't seem to change much. Is there something in the shader i'm missing?
Thanks!
Niall

Attachments:
www.png (555.4 KB)

436 posts
Make sure you have VORTICITY attribute in the FLIP particles (or any DOP output), then tie diffuse of material to vorticity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCQqGti2kY8 [www.youtube.com]
6 posts
Ah yes, that's looks so much better! I do seem to have another problem though. I have these random blobs of water flickering around the render. I've tried changing the particle separation value and it doesn't do anything. They don't just appear below my geo, they also show up in and around the water! Any idea why this happens?
Also thank you very much!
Edited by ntw - April 12, 2019 12:15:37

Attachments:
hmm.png (482.8 KB)

436 posts
The ‘Swiss Cheesing’ byProduct is bane of liquid sim VFX artists. In Houdini FLIP object and FLIP Solver there is a option of RESEED particles. Like DOSXX most interesting man, I don't always use it, but I do when I need to. Re-seeding particles , FLIP solver tries to see a problem voxel volume where there not enough particles for smooth surfacing (later used by ParticleFluid SOP for mesh gen)and fills it with new particles and/or redistribution of existing particles in a the sim. Conversely it also tries to fix voxels where there too many particles. How it does is a bit of a mystery to me. But it does work, mostly, mostly. FLIP is ‘implied’ particle position , as FLIP does not strictly enforce ‘divergence’ , which is strictly enforced in SPH liquids. In SPH, a divergence violation crashes the sim. Unfortunately re-seeding introduces either positional jitter and ParticleID attr change. Later in process, if using particles as points for rendering point clouds and for instancing, the result can show noise motion blur artifact, or random popping of instanced geometry . Now, this is what I think is happening. It may be something else. Back in my Realflow days, I dealt with this issue by either upping the resolution, thus sim-time, meshing time and render time. Later by using RF Particle Sheeter (gigity) plug-in. In RF this was mainly in RF's SPH solvers , which I consider superior to Houdini's SPH solver, but mine is a biased opinion, as Realflow was a significant part of my professional life.
There is a sort of ROT I use in FLIPs to avoid swiss cheese and positional jitter. Keep the sim moving. Don't allow any part of the simulation to slow down , where jitter and popping are most apparent. FLIPs are amazing for those dramatic , dynamic shots, where volume and chaos hide any simulation and surfacing artifacts. But I consider FLIPs not to be optimal for slow liquid motion. Like stagnant water. I notice that problems that occur at low res, previz quality or WIP sims, just go away as sim rez is increased to production weights, or when a sim motion speed is helped along with some FORCE fields with object masks to contain their effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsxzVJy_9M [www.youtube.com]

The surface mesh, prior to rendering, of my Houdini FLIP sim of boiling churning water. Scrub though, FxF, and you cain see the beginning of mesh surface jitter. But the artifact is contained by having liquid moving.
  • Quick Links