Help with door panel generator

1209   4   1
5 posts
Noob here looking for some help. I'm trying to create some paneling by allowing the user to specify rail amount and then depending on the size of the panel it would get user-controlled insets. Question #1 - What's going on with this? The measure has a perimeter min/max set and clearly the bottom one is paneling out while the top (which is the same size) is not? It seems like there always has to be one element which isn't cooperating. Question #2 - I'm grabbing the points on the inside bevel, then use an Add to make it into a set of edges, then Sweep a shape on those edges. The bevel flips itself around as new panels are added/subtracted. You can see in the second image how the middle one is flipped. I've tried using a polyframe and forcing the normals in a direction with a wrangle but I'm not sure how to fix this and I've spent a lot of time trying to resolve it. Help is appreciated!

Attaching Houdini file.

Attachments:
Door_Generator_Copy.hipnc (158.2 KB)

648 posts
see attached.
slightly different approach to building it.

Attachments:
Door_Generator_noforloop.hipnc (224.0 KB)

5 posts
This looks great, cpb, thank you so much - I appreciate the work you put into this! Can you maybe give me some explanation on what the ‘fix normals’ wrangle is doing?
648 posts
mquickel
Can you maybe give me some explanation on what the ‘fix normals’ wrangle is doing?
just snaps normals to 90 or 45 degree angles, comment out last line to see what happens without.
5 posts
Great, thank you!
  • Quick Links