RBD Wedges / TOPS / Memory Mgmt Best Practices?

1083   0   1
37 posts
Hello again,

I'm looking to explore RBD sims using TOPs to help wedge parameters to understand what the various controls do. Nothing new in that. I've got a few basic tests set up just to get my little pipeline set up. So far so good, but these sims are all rudimentary right now (i.e. think falling fractured sphere).

However, it won't be long till things get a bit more layered, more geo etc. I don't expect to be launching any massively complex sims, far more likely to be kicking off multiple small and medium “experiments”. If I spawn multiple wedged sims via tops, in theory these parallel processes could all start gobbling up memory as the sims run their course. One sim at a time, I'm not worried about my machine, but the math gets fuzzier when there are potentially 9 or more sims launched (a 3 by 3 wedge of two params seems totally realistic as I explore the tools).

Disc space seems a bit more straightforward to estimate (i think) but how do you all (you savvy sim folks out there) estimate RAM usage of a sim? I'm admittedly just dipping my toe into TOPS but I don't see any “machine resource” management node (like don't spawn a new job if you are over XX% of memory used).

My assumption is that I should know how to calculate this and throttle the TOPS scheduler accordingly. Am I over thinking this? Do you all have any tips for estimating memory usage around RBD sims?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Pete
  • Quick Links