Object merge issue in H17

1798   5   2
8 posts
When you drag and drop any node onto object merge it uses relative path instead of absolute which is very inconvenient! Please fix it!
Edited by dontcallmejerry - Dec. 1, 2018 09:58:06
7759 posts
Well, before when a node was dragged to a parm it created an absolute path, which was very inconvenient. So they fixed it.
8 posts
Why is absolute path inconvenient??

Create object merge drag any node to a parm, cut object merge(ctrl x), paste it in to another geo node. When you do this kind of stuff 100+ times a day relative path becomes very inconvenient especially when you working very fast and you have a very big and complex network.

May be it would be much better to let user choose what are the defaults for this node!
Edited by dontcallmejerry - Dec. 1, 2018 14:25:09
8539 posts
it's inconvenient because that's not the common workflow, it's much more common to drag a node to operator path parameter at the same network level and you want those to be relative (there is many more operator path parameters than on just Object Merge, like all Spare Input parms, etc…)

for your workflow, you can:
- select the node you want to reference, ctrl+C, then paste directly in the Object Merge object path parameter, the Object Merge can be already anywhere in the scene as copying a node copies it's full path into a clipboard
OR
- click button next to object path parameter in Object Merge to browse and either pick from the list or navigate in the network to the node you want to reference select it and hit Accept

overall I wouldn't be against D&D dropping an absolute path when a modifier key or having the default set in preferences and modifier key just dropping the other one
Edited by tamte - Dec. 1, 2018 17:05:37
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8 posts
Yeah that's what I'm talking about - would be nice to have a way to set the default behaviour for this node.
Thanks for ctrl+c tip, I haven't thought about it.
130 posts
Hi Fluid Motion,
I had the same suituation that you faced, So I have made a little script to convert relative path to abs path,

Download it and put it in you /houdini17 folder then you can see an extra option in your right click menu

Define a hotkey to speed up a bit.

That might be useful for you so I thouht of sharing it.
Edited by Mohanpugaz - May 8, 2019 01:33:37

Attachments:
PARMmenu.xml (424 bytes)
convertToAbsPath.png (34.4 KB)

Mohan Pugaz
movfx
https://www.instagram.com/movfx/ [www.instagram.com]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/@_movfx
  • Quick Links