helptips doesnt work
winbows 7 x64, houdini fx 15.0.347, Houdini 15.0.363

Attachments:
gavno.jpg (106.9 KB)

2 posts
With the same problem.
houdini 15.0.347 15.0.393
236 posts
I had the same problems with both the tooltips and F1 Help when I upgraded from 14 to 15. These issues remained until I installed 15.0.393 where the tooltips now work but F1 Help still doesn't. (produces same error as in the 2nd screenshot in the original post)

I did do a clean install this time (whereas I usually overwrite) so I'm not sure if a clean install or 393 itself fixed the tooltip problem.

Note: I can still use the Help browser after clicking the “home” button, it's the F1 Help page linking that doesn't work. So I have to search for the page I wanted, which isn't ideal.

Win 7 x64,
Houdini Indie 15.0.393
236 posts
Hi, I have some updated information on this issue, not sure if it will help diagnose the problem.

The F1 help for the shelf tools launches the help browser and works as intended. F1 help for anything else, doesn't work.

Rob
74 posts
I've found the best thing is to swap of to your external browser of choice for Houdini help by adding this to your Environment Variables file.

HOUDINI_EXTERNAL_HELP_BROWSER = 1

This makes things pretty much plain sailing on that front.
236 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I just tried what you suggested but still have the same problem. (Works for Shelf tools but not for anything else)

When trying the above, it also produced a string of errors in the Houdini console (not just the python error like original post) so I've reverted to the original Environment Variables file.

Maybe the above will work for the others having the same issue but for me it doesn't so I welcome any further suggestions.

I'm not really sure if I should be sending a bug report for this or if it's something wrong with my setup that's causing it. I assume it's working for the vast majority?

Rob

UPDATE: This issue has been fixed in build 15.0.416
483 posts
+1 same bug here…
WIN7, Houdini 16.0.557
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
10 posts
Jonathan Moore2
I've found the best thing is to swap of to your external browser of choice for Houdini help by adding this to your Environment Variables file.

HOUDINI_EXTERNAL_HELP_BROWSER = 1

This makes things pretty much plain sailing on that front.

Thanks Jonathan Moore2 !
I had the same problem with H17.5.173 and it fixed the problem !
  • Quick Links