Jeff Wagner Presentation (Character FX & Cloth in H17)

2436   6   2
53 posts
Hi.
Recently I watched this presentation (Characater FX & Cloth in H17 [vimeo.com]), very good and mind blowing presentation about Houdini abilities in Vellum but unfotunately Jeff introduce so many interesting techniques and pass them so fast(because of time limitation).
I listed some topics and looking for more information about them, hope anybody can help or get more information from Jeff

05:54 - Soldier example seems to combined rigids with vellum, is it possible or any tricks.
50:21 - About interpenetration points, Jeff said just turn interpenetrated points off and when they come back out turn them on but how?
50:44 - Jeff talks about a tool to simulate lowres cloth and use that for driving hires cloth, what is the tool?
Edited by Mohsen_Tabasi - May 15, 2019 23:13:39
310 posts
Not sure about your first two points, but I believe the cloth capture and cloth deform tools are what I used to transfer the low res animation to the high res mesh.
53 posts
Midasssilver
Not sure about your first two points, but I believe the cloth capture and cloth deform tools are what I used to transfer the low res animation to the high res mesh.
Maybe but I was thinking about something like volume or grain hires tools that keep overall motion and add details. I think the video in presentation show something like this.
86 posts
Here's the scene Jeff used for the cloth upres.

Attachments:
upres_vellum_cloth.hip (560.5 KB)

53 posts
tony_a
Here's the scene Jeff used for the cloth upres.
Thanks a lot Tony, nice trick.
Do you have any idea about two first points?
2 posts
point one - I would imagine its a complex setup possible using struts(vellum soft body)to make the soldiers accessories appear to be ridges.

point two - Jeff is speaking about the vellum solver and what it does by “default” which makes it better at solving interpenetrations. Depending on which vellum solver (SOP or DOP) you can find (and turn off ¯\_( ツ )_/¯) the setting under dopnet>vellumsolver>collisions>Disable Failed Collisions.
53 posts
mavSwag
point one - I would imagine its a complex setup possible using struts(vellum soft body)to make the soldiers accessories appear to be ridges.

point two - Jeff is speaking about the vellum solver and what it does by “default” which makes it better at solving interpenetrations. Depending on which vellum solver (SOP or DOP) you can find (and turn off ¯\_( ツ )_/¯) the setting under dopnet>vellumsolver>collisions>Disable Failed Collisions.
Thanks mavSwag.
  • Quick Links