Strange problem when rendering pyro sims with redshift

4219   4   1
2 posts
Hello eyeryone,

I´m still trying to make my way into houdini. Today I stumbled into a strange problem when trying to render a simple scene with Redshift in Hooudini: I did a basic pyro sim (for test purposes only via the shelf tools) and setup a rs volume shader and assigned it to the pyro_import node. The pyro sim renders well and I can see the fire - but unfortunatly it is surrounded by what looks like the voxel cage of the simulation.

I also to exported the sim to disc and reimported it with a new file node - but with no luck either. Maybe I just forgot to press one button.

If anyone would have a solution to this I would be pretty happy cause I´m stuck with my basic knowledge of Houdini - again :-(

Thank you very much!
Edited by KlausDieter568 - March 28, 2019 16:12:28

Attachments:
redshift fire_problem01.jpg (230.2 KB)
houdini_redshift_shader.png (118.5 KB)
houdini_redshift_scene.png (80.8 KB)

2 posts
Oh sorry, I´ve forgotten: I´m using the Houdini Indy Version 17.5.173 & Redshift 2.6.37.

I also exported the simulation as a vdb-sequence to C4D (R20.059). I could render the sim with Redshift inside C4D but I had the same problem. Could it be that I would have to delete any attributes within the Houdini sim?

When I use Mantra for Rendering in Houdini and assign the proper flame material everything works fine…
1 posts
KlausDieter568
Oh sorry, I´ve forgotten: I´m using the Houdini Indy Version 17.5.173 & Redshift 2.6.37.

I also exported the simulation as a vdb-sequence to C4D (R20.059). I could render the sim with Redshift inside C4D but I had the same problem. Could it be that I would have to delete any attributes within the Houdini sim?

When I use Mantra for Rendering in Houdini and assign the proper flame material everything works fine…

Check in the advanced tab and set them back to the defaults
7740 posts
I'm not familiar with how the redshift volume material is supposed to work, but that emission ramp has a non-zero value for the minimum. I would expect that to create a solid color everywhere heat is 0. Maybe it needs to be multiplied by another field? The mantra pyro material uses two fields for emission, one for color and one for emission brightness.
1 posts
The furthest left value of your emission colour ramp needs to be a 100% black. At the moment what you are telling the shader is that everything in the heat field with a value of 0 should be coloured red.

Hope this helps.
  • Quick Links