V-RAY NEXT
8.5 min

HOUDINI 17.0 MANTRA
60 min

RENDERMAN 22
9 min

OCTANE 4
3min

Render Comparison Redshift, Arnold, V-Ray, Mantra, RenderMan, Octane(Glass, Refraction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJghpp8RVmw [www.youtube.com]

REDSHIFT 2.6
RENDER TIME:average of 2 min per frame

ARNOLD 5.2
11 min

V-RAY NEXT
2 min

HOUDINI 17.0 MANTRA
10 min

RENDERMAN 22
10 min

OCTANE 4
3min
Edited by anon_user_90091072 - April 28, 2019 00:58:45
731 posts
Wow, thanks for doing this! I am most surprised how similar all the renders look. But Redshift, wow!
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
1618 posts
Can you post the real render settings? Like: Pixel samples, noise threshold etc.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
648 posts
we should also look at the hipfiles, especially shaders.
83 posts
Thank you for this.

It's possible that the shader setups might be slightly different for each renderer which might explain the discrepancies between each Renderer's shader quality results.

That said, Vray and Redshift, while faster than the others (CPU(+GPU?) and GPU respectively) also look underwhelming esp where transparent Shaders are concerned. This is persistent with my own experiments with these two renderers.

Octane is finicky at times but just like Arnold, I prefer it's out of the box results. Octane's transparent shader results look the sharpest and to me, the most believable. Even Arnold is muddled in some of these results ( not to mention the less than stellar rendering times )

PS: How did you setup Renderman 22 for Houdini? I have installed it but I don't see options that are different than the existing integration of the 20/21 defaults in Houdini.
Edited by nisachar - May 23, 2019 13:02:35
  • Quick Links