Render time estimation ?

1779   6   2
141 posts
hello I need to know, how can I get an estimate of rendering time?

it would be really convenient for my long rendering ^^
Sorry for my english but i learn too ^^

1 ryzen 3970X 64go
1 xeon hexacore 32go
1 i7 hexacore 16o
141 posts
I have found this but in dont understand https://forums.odforce.net/topic/25908-render-time-info/ [forums.odforce.net]

1 ryzen 3970X 64go
1 xeon hexacore 32go
1 i7 hexacore 16o
7727 posts
Render the scene, and time it. The next time you render the same scene, it will probably take a similar amount of time.

Sorry if that sounds sarcastic, but it's literally what we do to estimate farm resource allocation.
141 posts
Ok, it's not sarcastic but completely stupid as an answer, if I ask this question it's because I need to know how long a render can block my machine, we can't always use render farms and in the event we need to know or estimate, for example when I make an architectural projection that I only have 2 weeks to put on a show, I can't have fun timekeeping…. most 3d programs can make an estimate regardless of the rendering engine, why under houdini we can't or if we can't do it?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

1 ryzen 3970X 64go
1 xeon hexacore 32go
1 i7 hexacore 16o
7024 posts
Render times are super basic. Render your image at a low res, and then calculate how many times bigger the final image will be. Each time you double the res, it takes 4x longer (approximately! since rare is the image that is square) minus the initial startup time which stays approximately the same.

So, you render at 320x200 resolution. The setup time takes 1 minute (let's say) and the final render takes 2 minutes (let's say).

So if your final render is 2560x1600, then:

320x2x2x2 means final time of 2 minute X4 x4 X4 or 128 minutes. Plus 1 more minute for the setup time.

All approximate of course but gives you a decent idea.

There is no render engine that can estimate even vaguely a render time without having rendered the image at least once. That I'm aware of! If there is, I would love to know about it.

Cheers,

peter B
Edited by pbowmar - May 23, 2019 16:20:10
141 posts
Thank you for this !

on c4d we have a render queue an she estimate the render time and is not too bad

https://youtu.be/iQaKn9hJSt0?t=155 [youtu.be]

1 ryzen 3970X 64go
1 xeon hexacore 32go
1 i7 hexacore 16o
7024 posts
Yes, that is the same as a “farm” which is what jsmack was trying to point out. It just happens to be on your machine only
  • Quick Links