Houdini Asset desappearing mysteriously ( Houdini Engine Asset - no HEU_HoudiniAsset found! )

2170   4   0
5 posts
Hello,

While building one of our levels, Houdini Assets began to disappear. We can't modify our assets, the HoudiniAssetRoot script only shows the following error : Houdini Engine Asset - no HEU_HoudiniAsset found!

We've done some tests, but we are not able to find the source of the error.

Several people work on different scenes at the same time, but all scenes are open additively. It seems that every HDA broke at a certain moment, but assets created now are not affected by the problem, the Houdini Assets still exist.

While testing, we realised that we are not on the exact same version of Houdini Engine. Some are on the Houdini Version 17.0.416 and Houdini Engine Version 3.2.36, and others on 17.5.229 and 3.2.0 respectively. However, we are all working on Windows 10 and Unity 2018.3.11.

I know that's not a lot of informations, but that's every relevant things we have. I hope it will suffice to find the root of the issue.

Thanks for your help
571 posts
It is not recommended to use different versions of the plugin at the same time. In fact, the plugin scripts will change between versions so when you use a newer version, I recommend everyone to move up to that version. Otherwise you are going to get different versions of the plugin scripts and data, which might result in this behaviour.

That error means the HDA gameobject hierarchy in the Unity scene (or prefab) has been damaged. Could be the script got removed from the gameobject or project, or there is a compile error (if modified the plugin scripts), or gameobject was deleted, etc. It could be merge conflicts if checking into source control with 2 or more modifications to the HDA data in Unity. If you are using source control, are you able to revert back?

Also, if multiple users are working with HDAs, make sure only 1 person at a time is modifying the HDA and commit their change, before someone else does the same.
5 posts
Thanks for the advice and details.

After some research with source control, it appears that HDA had broke because some scenes were edited with a computer without Houdini installed on it. Is this possibly the reason ?
571 posts
The plugin will be dormant if there is no Houdini installed, so there is no harm there. Problems will happen if the user tries to use the UI on the HDAs, or change things like gameobject hierarchy, or remove scripts.
5 posts
Ok, i'll continue to dig ! The topic will be updated when I find the issue.
  • Quick Links