isolating vellum to keep parts rigid

2222   5   1
37 posts
HI guys so i have a vellum question. Is there a way in vellum to isolate areas of an affected area so that they stay rigid but still follow the dynamic movement of the rest of the object. I have attached images

The first image shows the little prongs i want to stay rigid after the object gets stretched,

The second image shows its result. see deformed prongs.
Image Not Found
Blue highlighed

Attachments:
vellumquestion_static.PNG (1.9 MB)
vellumquestion_staticmovement.PNG (1.7 MB)

191 posts
Have you tried using the Scale By Attribute in the bend stiffness? Multiplying up the stiffness on those prongs quite a lot I think would help.
37 posts
Thanks for the super quick response, I have tried that yes. Would you use Cd in the bend stiffness?
191 posts
I would create an attribute just for the stiffness which could be whatever you want to name it. The vellum constraint defaults to looking for “bendstiffness”. You could use your Cd but remap it so the white is a value of 1 and the black is a value of say 10 or 100 or whatever.
37 posts
I don't seem to be getting any results from the bend-stiffness. I have set a group, added an attribute create for the groups called bendstiffness. Then set my bend super high….. and nothing

Ive attached another images to outline my setup

Attachments:
troubles.PNG (2.2 MB)

8523 posts
just setting high bendstiffness is not enough, you have to have enough constraint iterations to satisfy it
it's very unlikely that you will get perfectly rigid behavior with your model, your spikes are very hi-res which is unnecessary for rigid objects, make them as low-res as possible while keeping the shape, it will make it much easier to keep the rigid behavior with much less iterations, then you can deform hi res version with it if you want
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links