Desperately need some guidance with creating a field of dynamics objects and constraints

2071   8   2
14 posts
I posted in the indie forum but no takers.

To put it simply imagine a field of sunflowers where the stalks are curves and the flower is a rigid object ontop of each curve.

I can create a field of curves and then get that into a wire solver and that all works, including constraining first point to the ground plane.

What i cannot fathom or find is an approach where, within the DOP, i can add the rigid object to the top of each curve so it moves in the wind with the wire.

This is my lack on knowledge but i've googled, searched and not found anything that helps me yet

So can someone point me where i should be looking? Can i create a point constraint on each curve and copy a rigid body to each one?

Any guidance *really* appreciated!

thanks
Paul
336 posts
Is there a reason they need to be rigid objects? Seems like this is something better accomplished with a noise field on the endpoint of the curves, with the flowers copied to those same points. It might help if you post your current hip file
731 posts
I agree…. if you have a sim already, just group out the top point of each wire, and copy flowers to those points. Make sure you have normals to get the orientation correct, and ideally an up vector to prevent the flower from spinning.
Edited by mrCatfish - June 19, 2019 11:54:14
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
17 posts
Hi,

You can try to plug the wiresolver for the curves and the rbdsolver for the flower in a multisolver. And also add a cone twist constraint relationship to attach the flower to the last point of the curve.

Otherwise, if your wire sim is fine, you can attach the flower to the top of your curve and make it follow the orientation. This would be fast and does not require a sim.

Indeed, an hip file would be welcome to help you.
14 posts
Thank you everyone for replying.

I've enclosed a file that i've been playing with, just barebones to help me find my way. My ultimate scene isn't sunflowers but i thought that described it in a way we can all imagine.

So grouping out the top point of each wire is great. But not entirely sure the best way to copy and move the heads of the flowers with? I was playing with RBD Instanced Objects and that would take a bunch of objects and instance them on the points - but i don't think it will help me keeping them to the tops of the wires as they move?

The barebones file has a curve copied over a plane into a DOP network where there's some noise, gravity and wire solver to move them around as a test.

So my confusion is just what is the best way to attach the deformed sphere object to the tops of all those curves?

Kindest,
Paul

Attachments:
testbed.hiplc (217.1 KB)

336 posts
Here's an edited hip with some notes, I hope that's helpful

Attachments:
testbed_revised1.hiplc (297.8 KB)

14 posts
AndyW
Here's an edited hip with some notes, I hope that's helpful

Andy,

Thanks for taking the time, took a few moments to work out the network.

So there's no simulation going on in this but the movement is being driven by the Attribute VOP node and the vex graph inside?

Ideally growing from the test field i may need to introduce other timed forces and influences to all the stalks (on a larger scale). So i don't know that a VEX approach would be quite as flexible as a full simulation - but it's a really neat approach and i've learnt a bunch from this.

But if i wanted to base the movement on a simulation, using other influences and forces can you suggest an approach?

Kindest,
Paul
731 posts
And here is another example using your hip file.

Attachments:
testbed.lostboys.hipnc (253.1 KB)

Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
14 posts
mrCatfish
And here is another example using your hip file.

Sean,

Sorry it's take so long to reply. But that was awesome! It's what i was looking for and gives me something to pull apart and learn from as well.

Thank you so much for your time

cheers
Paul
  • Quick Links