Redshift + Triplanar reference?

5888   3   1
4 posts
So Redshift has a Triplanar node that allows you to set it to either world space, object space, or reference object. When you select reference object, it does not give you an option to define the object you want to reference.

Does anybody know how to assign the reference object?
678 posts
Hey elihu252,

the reference is best created inside the object using a rest node. There you can plug your reference geo into the second port.
Redshift is looking for the point attribute called rest(a vector).

Cheers
CYTE

Redshift Documentation [docs.redshift3d.com]
Edited by CYTE - June 20, 2019 05:54:57
4 posts
Ah Thanks so much, that worked like a charm. I was typing in ‘triplanar’ instead of ‘tri planar’ and the Redshift documentation returned no results ><

Thanks so much for the link.
5 posts
Bump for April 2024 now that Redshift supports rest position inherently; trying to set up the RS OSL Triplanar Coordinates from their Github [github.com]

My textures are swimming, and my geo is deforming over time. I have a load of cloned softbodies going through vellum, so at some point in the network, I've added a Rest SOP with a TimeShift set to frame 0 into the second input, and it's set to store the rest and rest normal. That should mean I freeze frame zero as the reference frame to be able to stick the RS TriPlanar node to deforming geometry. The point of using the OSL node is just to try to eke out more control over the setup.

Supposedly this is all you need in Houdini to allow the State node to pick up the rest and rest normal as Reference Object for the TriPlanar node (or indeed, TriPlanar Coordinates OSL node) to stick the triplanar to deforming geo.

Alas - this is not a documented workflow in Houdini (it's barely documented in C4D either tbh). Any ideas?
  • Quick Links