Autorig tool not working, chopnet extremity error or twisted hands/fingers

2680   7   1
70 posts
I'm pulling my hair out here*.

I'm trying to use the Autorig shelf tool panel to generate a basic rig for an FBX model I've downloaded from Mixamo. I've attached it for anyone feeling generous.

I'm able to generate a rig if I just leave the skeleton alone but obviously it bears no relation to the mesh itself.

However if I try to line the base skeleton up with the mesh, once I click generate rig it'll eventually crash complaining in the console of some sort of extremity chopnet fault. On the occasions where it doesn't error out the hands are completely messed up, all twisted in on themselves. I've updated to the latest daily build of Houdini to rule out any long standing bugs/issues that have already been fixed and I've tried rigging it about 10+ times now and I'm starting to think either there's something wrong with the tool or I'm doing something wrong myself.

I've watched the houdini masterclass video on this and I've done all those steps but he glosses over the hands so I don't know if I'm doing it right or not. I know it looks obvious, and I thought I'm doing it right, but evidently not. I'm still not sure why I'm getting the extremity error in the first place - let alone the twisted hands and fingers - but it's infuriating because you have to start right from the beginning again.

Help greatly appreciated.

*tell a lie, I don't have any
Edited by Cigoler - June 18, 2019 10:56:24

Attachments:
ModelMan.fbx (13.9 MB)

Staff
3455 posts
this issue should be fixed in tomorrow's build of Houdini…

in the mean time I had a go at rigging your character - very roughly

ModelMan_wip.hip - open this in tomorrow's build of H17.5 and drag+drop the HDA into the Autorigs panel and you should be able to continue from there.

ModelMan_rigged.hip - this is the very rough rig to test

ModelMan.bgeo.sc - your FBX geo object_merged into another geo and scaled down to Houdini size and saved
Edited by goldfarb - June 18, 2019 11:32:43

Attachments:
ModelMan.bgeo.sc (1.5 MB)
ModelMan_rigged.hip (4.0 MB)
ModelMan_wip.hip (2.7 MB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
70 posts
You're a star, thanks man! Was doing anything wrong though - or was it just the update I need?
Staff
3455 posts
it was me…
I fix I did a while back actually broke something else :\
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1755 posts
My latest test with the auto-rig.
What I did was to bypass the human legs/feet and add quad legs/feet modules for a character with quadruped like legs.
Tested in .285 and then .292. In the latter, in the viewport most ctrls are shifted to the rig's right before pressing Generate Rig.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - June 20, 2019 03:09:49

Attachments:
autorig_test.jpg (286.3 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
can you post you hip?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1755 posts
Problem solved after deleting my prefs. No longer have the file….
Hopefully, enough info to track down the problem. (doubtful)
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - July 3, 2019 13:50:46
3 posts
I'm doing some character animation with a rigged that was built using the autorig tool when I try to animate the wrist when the arm is in FK, it seems I can only twist the wrist, x and y rotation I can't get to work. I'm I doing something wrong? Am I using the Houdini 17.5.322
  • Quick Links