Rendering outside of $HIP

1856   2   0
53 posts
I would like to save a permanent preset for my mantra or Arnold ROP that looks at what my files full path is, for example, (SJob_X/CG/Houdini/file.hip) and set the default output “picture”/directory to (SJob_X/CG/Renders/Shot01/$HIPNAME/$OS/$HIPNAME.$OS.$F4.exr).

Is there some way I can reference / tell Houdini to set my defult output to: “$Go backwards from $HIP and find folder called ‘CG’”/Renders/Shot01/$HIPNAME/$OS/$HIPNAME.$OS.$F4.exr?

I know about the ‘…/…/’ thing but sometimes folders are nested differently. For example one hip file might be in a Houdini/_RnD/Test01, or just in a Houdini/Shot01 folder.

Thank you for your time and any insight.
336 posts
Why is it that necessary? Why not just make a path variable called $RENDERS or something, then it won't matter where your save your HIP files?
2035 posts
I was waiting for maybe some of the guys who work in a studio environment where this sort thing might be typically done to make a suggestion.

Don't know if this is ideal, but you can make a mantra node preset with the desired path. That preset can be saved to a choice of locations to control accessibility.

Just type in the desired render path on the mantra node, then from the gear icon menu use “Save Presets…”

Name the preset and the location where you want the preset to be ‘permanently’ saved for future access.

If for example you saved the preset to the $HIP directory,

in the $HIP directory you will find the preset file that has your preset.

The file would be named “ifd.idx” in the folder Presets > Driver.( I mention this so that you know for backup purposes )

Now depending on where you saved your preset, you can access that preset by clicking on the gear icon of a new mantra node.

At the bottom you will see your named preset that will populate your parameter with the desired output directory when selected.

Of course if you have just created the preset, you have to re-start the current Houdini session in order for your new preset to be available.

Also, as an example. If you saved your preset to a $HIP directory. Only hip files in that are in that $HIP directory will see that preset and be available.
Edited by BabaJ - June 28, 2019 10:47:35
  • Quick Links