Dynamic Constraints On Deforming Passive Mesh

1857   2   0
18 posts
Hi Constraint Gurus,

Wondering if someone could take a quick look. I'm having a hard time trying to get these dynamically created constraints to stick to this animated passive object.

is my approach wrong ?

What I'm trying to do is Have the sphere represent a cached anim - hit the wall, then pull away some pieces like its stuck to it. I've seen several approaches to this via all dynamic objects, but have not seen it done on a passive deforming mesh. Which is what the sphere is setup to be.

doing it this way or perhaps via dynamic meshes stuck to the deforming mesh to do the same thing…? I've spun my wheels on this too much !

any direction would be appreciated !

Attachments:
dynamic_constraints_deformingmesh.hip (734.5 KB)

394 posts
Hmmm. I think it might have something to do with the deforming object having infinite mass and possibly how the transforms update with respect to the constraints.
I've tried a couple of things - changing the sphere to a packed object (for consistency so that all the rbd objects are packed).
I've added a name attribute to the constraint points that connect to the sphere, so they know what to follow.
And I made the bottom of the wall inactive just to give it some stability.
Oh. And tried soft instead of spring constraints because they're essentially the same.

But it's still exploding will need to keep digging.

Mike
Edited by mikelyndon-sesi - July 5, 2019 10:03:17

Attachments:
dynamic_constraints_deformingmesh_mike.hip (755.7 KB)

18 posts
Thanks Mike!

in the file I downloaded, although the constraint lines follow the deforming RBD, They are not really moving with the object. Additionally changing the constraint type to glue you can see that they just stop moving all together.

Any further help would be appreciated !
  • Quick Links