HDA not updating inside Unity

5319   4   1
169 posts
Bringing in newer versions of an HDA yields the same old one in the viewport inside Unity.

Tried to bring it in by pasting over the initial HDA, or by deleting the original and then importing the new one.

Also tried deleting the cache folders from inside HoudiniEngineAssetCache.

Nearest we can tell it seems like the HDA is still using the old asset definitions.

The only way to make it work is to delete the Houdini engine plugin and then import the package again.

Is there any way to flush or force HE to update to the new HDA and definitions? Or, maybe the issues is something else entirely.

Thank you

H17.5.293 HE3.2.41
Winter is coming!
571 posts
After you update the HDA, are you using Rebuild or Recook? Recook should get the update if its just parm changes, but Rebuild will guarantee the latest version gets loaded, and recreates everything, then tries to apply back the parm values. Reset Parameters is your nuclear option, which is Rebuild + reset of parms.

Can you expand the HDA hierarchy in Unity, select the HDA_Data, and uncheck the UI Locked toggle, then check the Asset Path? Is it pointing to the right HDA file?

It might be due to session conflicts. One you thing you can try is to go to HoudiniEngine menu in Unity, then Session, then Close All Sessions. Then try loading or Recook/Rebuild.

Are you running multiple Unity apps with Houdini Engine on the same machine? Or using other Houdini Engine plugins such as Unreal, Maya, Max, or custom? We don't support more than once instance of Houdini Engine running at a time, so try closing the others if so.
169 posts
seelan
After you update the HDA, are you using Rebuild or Recook? Recook should get the update if its just parm changes, but Rebuild will guarantee the latest version gets loaded, and recreates everything, then tries to apply back the parm values. Reset Parameters is your nuclear option, which is Rebuild + reset of parms.

Can you expand the HDA hierarchy in Unity, select the HDA_Data, and uncheck the UI Locked toggle, then check the Asset Path? Is it pointing to the right HDA file?

It might be due to session conflicts. One you thing you can try is to go to HoudiniEngine menu in Unity, then Session, then Close All Sessions. Then try loading or Recook/Rebuild.

Are you running multiple Unity apps with Houdini Engine on the same machine? Or using other Houdini Engine plugins such as Unreal, Maya, Max, or custom? We don't support more than once instance of Houdini Engine running at a time, so try closing the others if so.

Hello Seelan,

Thank you for trying to help. We tried both recooking and rebuilding.

The HDA in the HDA data tab is pointing to the right asset.

Tried closing all sessions and then re-opening.

We're not running multiple HE instances. Just one which is connected to Unity.

Nothing really helps outside of closing U, deleting assets then copying them in the folders again OR deleting the HE package and then reimporting it.

One thing we've noticed, and I don't know if it is related, is that “playing” with the asset in Unity changed our asset inside Houdini. I know that U can push transform changes back to Houdini (if enabled in the plugin settings) but changes were to type properties and other stuff. We had to reimport the asset into H. Both apps were open but I can't be more specific because we noticed this after we had worked with the asset inside Unity for quite a while.

Thanks.
Winter is coming!
571 posts
Are you using it with the Houdini Engine Debugger? If you are not, then using the HDA in Unity and Houdini will be in two separate sessions, so it doesn't make sense for Unity to make changes that the separate Houdini session is seeing.

Can you send me the HDA? And which version of Houdini are you using? Try with the latest (17.5.308 or newer).

Also where do you store the HDA? If its in Unity project, try moving it somewhere outside the project. You'll need to recreate it in Unity scene.
Edited by seelan - July 7, 2019 08:14:32
7 posts
I have chairs copied to points. Slider changes number of resample points and thus number of chairs.

Last night, changing slider updated the number of chairs in Unity.

Then today - stopped working - changing umber of chairs slider didn't change the number of chairs in unity.

I opened debug > open scene Unity. All working fine in Houdini.

I got it to respond eventually - it had something to do with sessions.

I can't recall what I did exactly unfortunately as I was trying everything. It may have been either Houdini Session > Close default session or close all sessions. May need to connect new pipe session.
Edited by marks - Feb. 22, 2021 07:48:55
  • Quick Links