Making cliffs in a mountain

3144   4   2
13 posts
Hi,

After seeing a video of Far Cry 5 and their cliff tool I'd like to create something similar.
I made a heightfield with a mountain and masked out the slope angle I wanted to use.
I then converted it to a mesh and sliced it up with a line and a voronifracture node to create the strata lines.
However after extruding each strata mesh I get weird lines and a lot of dirty topology.
While I am a bit familiar with heigthfields already at the moment I'm still getting my feet wet with procedural meshes.
Does anyone here have some tips for this workflow?

the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfizT369g60 [www.youtube.com]

Thanks
Edited by neo_Flore - July 26, 2019 04:46:26

Attachments:
cliff_problem_01.PNG (725.9 KB)
cliff_problem_02.PNG (745.9 KB)
cliff_problem_03.PNG (484.2 KB)
cliff_problem_04.PNG (553.9 KB)

900 posts
I never understood why this happen and cannot make any sense out of the documentation,
but usually I fix it by switching the ‘extrusion mode’ to use point normal
Edited by Andr - July 26, 2019 05:03:27

Attachments:
extrusionmode.JPG (65.2 KB)

679 posts
Hey neo_Flore,

maybe this helps: before extruding create normals and set “add normals to” to point. then create an attribute blur and blur the newly created normals by typing N into the attributes field. in your polyextrude set extrusion mode to point normal and existing.
if the problem persists you can post your file here.

Cheers
CYTE
897 posts
neo_Flore
However after extruding each strata mesh I get weird lines and a lot of dirty topology.
The polyextrude flakyness is well known and a fix long overdue.
B.Henriksson, DICE
13 posts
I managed to get a good result with the extrude, however the inset is where it keeps falling apart. I now just do a blur on P or smooth which kind of gives me the shaped I was looking for.
Very tricky node

thanks for the replies
  • Quick Links