Karma replacing Mantra

6391   1   2
146 posts
Scott told Karma is (or will be) a full Mantra replacement, so some questions come to mind regarding Karma. He noted (and it was obviously expected) that Karma works with Vex exactly like Mantra. But we don't know how the transition will be executed, or up to what point there will be shader compatibility between them. I suppose a full featured (maybe?) CPU version will be released later this year with H18. Also, we don't know yet which features Karma sacrifices as a modern and new renderer that Mantra had. Also, I understood Karma is exclusive to the LOPs context (totally makes sense) so I'm very curious about how all current workflows from other contexts will converge into this one for representation. To conclude I would really love to know more technical details about the renderer itself, which Scott could not answer, I'm supposing it's a unidirectional unbiased path tracer, but the plugins architecture mentioned left me intrigued…
Exciting times ahead!
Edited by jarenas - July 31, 2019 04:31:40
147 posts
The Solaris presentation was seriously interesting, so much stuff going on. Looking forward to H18 where all this new tech and workflows will come together.
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
  • Quick Links