Mac OSX Port?

315918   265   2
581 posts
jan
Maybe we would get a better solution by sending a MacBook Pro to Toronto. Once Mark Elendt got addicted to it a Mac port is just hours away … I'll go and talk to Steve … :twisted:

P.S.: Rick, say hello to the Mill NY crew. Good to see that there is Houdini interest now (beside you) …
Hopefully The Mill will use Houdini more often in the future …
I was talking about this in the past Mundos Digitales with Jordi Bares, he likes Houdini, but is a XSI man
Jordi told me great things about you Rick, The Mill will be a gret place to work in in the future.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
141 posts
jan
P.S.: Rick, say hello to the Mill NY crew. Good to see that there is Houdini interest now (beside you) …

Will do!
/Rick
109 posts
Hey Jan,

it's been a while.
I'm also hooked to mac os x now. I'm still switching with kvm switch between linux and os x just because of houdini. I tested X forwarding through ssh but I guess because of OpenGL, I don't get the speed I want.
I fell in love with os X because Karen bought one. I can't confiscate it just yet because she is too busy on it, but I'm eager to install linux on it. If you liked gentoo (like I did) that distro is supposed to be pretty good on macs.

Yeah, so the Mill flirted by means of you and Jordi with houdini for a while. Are they finally taking it up? That's good to hear.

Sending sesi a mac is a good idea, although to ensure they've seen it I'm putting the link down here again: http://www.apple.com/macpro/ [apple.com]

The ultimate desktop is on 64bit Xeon. So, launch the magic command “make houdini” Mark. Come on, you know you're going to do it one day anyway.

Ta,

Dries.
1 posts
with the new MacPro's you have the ultimate machine now.
quad core 64 bit xeons, capable of running osx, linux, and windows.

so you have the option of using whatever software you want.
by the end of the year paralles should have a 3d working copy of their virtualization platform ready, then maybe you could run a non native version on the mac with decent speed.

since autodesk has yet to release a universal build of maya (not sure about lightwave) houdini could get in as one of the first major 3d packages to work on the new universal mac pro's.

alot of ppl like using final cut studio and shake, and its nice to use photoshop, however not many ppl like constantly rebooting, or moving over to use their software, having houdini on the intel mac would be a great move.

it could be released as beta only, not an offical product of which sidefx has to support, and the end users can download and run the latest builds and work most of the bugs out before houdini can release a major version.

apologies if any of this sounds incoherent as im rather sleepy at the moment.
13 posts
I would realy consider Houdini if they ported it to Mac .
I think Apple is more intuitive than Microsoft will ever be, simply because Microsoft don't have any system in what they do anymore.

Count me in! i even be willing to Donate just to see it happen

and gues what? i have newer used Houdini before!, but i love everything i've seen so far.
4256 posts
daskog
Count me in! i even be willing to Donate just to see it happen

Buy a handful of Master licenses and I'm sure you'll have SESI's ear. :wink:
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4140 posts
Yah no kidding. SESI isn't doing this out of spite. Mac market penetration hasn't budged for some time(carefully read what Jobs said at the last show - it was proven a “white lie” - despite all the platform changes, it has yet to move more than a budge).

I think when(if) the market share starts to become significant, it becomes a no-brainer. Hey, I might be wrong. SESI ported to Linux before anyone else thought it was a viable graphics workstation.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
105 posts
Just in case if anyone is interested, I am running Houdini Master 8.1.666 (Apprentice Edition) in Windows XP via OS X Parallels Desktop (build 1862 beta) on a MacBook Pro 2.0GHz.

Houdini runs fine using the default video drivers provided by Parallels Desktop in Windows XP. No tweaks or software OpenGL setting required. Also I am able to share files with my modo which runs in OS X using the Shared Folders feature of Parallels Desktop (via mapped network drives in Windows XP). Although it will take some further usage to see how it handles with real-life workloads.

Cheers,
tk
35 posts
Has anyone tried houdini on a mac pro and bootcamp?

thanks
639 posts
Hi Isaac. Long time no see.
3 posts
I'm not adding anything new to this topic except another voice for Houdini to port to OSX. I've always been a little bit tempted to port myself over to PC just to get access to not only some of the great 3D software thats out there for it and not mac, but also the plugins that go along with it. Not to mention a whole range of well priced graphics cards. Virtual PC has never really done it for me, I'd rather use a real PC just for the speed. But I work on a mac and I have one at home and hell bent on sticking with them too, so Im not about to invest in a new PC cause I cant afford one either!
So what am I trying to say? Houdini looks like the greatest 3D app I have ever seen or heard, (maybe thats why Alias sold up) so please SIES, if you create an OSX version, they will come!
5 posts
houdini is more than a great app. osx is a great system as well…..and mac harware is now OPTIMAL…..
there is more and more interest in apple computers (is a fact)

why not to port on osx?!!! NO REASON!
575 posts
mandi
why not to port on osx?!!! NO REASON!

time for porting it, that could be spend in other fields.
does the additional sold licences justify the porting cost.

this is not biased against or pro a port, just … considerations
24 posts
my 2 cents :
focus on a 64 bit windows port first, a lot of people are chomping at the bit for that.
If mantra was compiled on osx, I would use it, but I guess there is no real finacial incentive for that, but I would expect that to compile with little or no changes from the linux sources.
SESI, perhaps consider porting mantra, even in an unsupported form.

MD
1 posts
Does anyone know how to make houdini work on a mac book pro laptop running with XP sp2 via bootcamp ?

I can't activate my aprentice license because the license manager keep crashing. So I can't run houdini.

any Ideas ?

Harry.
105 posts
Hi Harry,

Take a look at this thread in which the few ways to run Houdini with the Bootcamp drivers in Windows XP SP2: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5472&highlight=houdinioglsoftware [sidefx.com]

The easiest method (as described in the thread above) is to set the Windows environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE = 1 to get the license manager to run.

- tk

Harryb
Does anyone know how to make houdini work on a mac book pro laptop running with XP sp2 via bootcamp ?

I can't activate my aprentice license because the license manager keep crashing. So I can't run houdini.

any Ideas ?

Harry.
4 posts
It’s foolish to think that Houdini would ask the Mac Mountain to come to Houdini. Houdini must go to the Mac Summit and ask for divine inspiration. Investment! Mac Mountain might then listen to all of its follower’s prayers and see, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I dont want to mess things up! I just to get on with my life with a Mac. I dont want to pay $17.000 for Houdini. I want to learn its teachings and would not mind paying a collaborative Mac/Houdini site to do so!

Why think big when we are all small?
Come on back 10/4
1 posts
just another person for the mac osx

Houdini is becoming widely used in major motion picture companies, i was asked to download it and learn it to get thrown a couple of jobs. And i'm on a mac os.

So i had to do it though parallel, still learning it, but it would be great if osx users could get it. IMO Houdini is shooting themselves in the foot by not getting ported on mac's. If its a matter of not being able to, that's another thing, but i can't imagine why companies would by MAC's if Houdini runs on linux, xp and solaris.

Instead, they'll buy the macs and spend their money on combustion, shake or some other program that's on osx. It's already widely known that Apple is on the digital media applications kick, it would only make sense for Houdini to join up before its too late. If it's a matter of money, i guarantee, that they are losing more money each day that goes by without it being for mac, then not.

just my opinion. :?
5 posts
c°mon sesi people!!!
dont be f***g nihilist.
make the MOVE! :arrow: OSX
4 posts
Aarggh! I've no dignity left, is this the end of my PPC 64bit relationship? Not in respect of editing with Final Cut Studio and Shake. Or other 3D Apps, like Lightwave, C4D, Maya, as well as there in shakable partner Photoshop!
Is this really an end of an era! Even thought of the unthinkable “if that's a word no red line under score though”! Buying a PC. Errrahahagh the pain! Still a mac power book with an intel chip cools the noodle. What one ought I to buy any recommendations with an ubuntu O.S.?
  • Quick Links