Select only outside edges? Lot Subdivision

3088   3   0
9 posts
Hello, I've been working on a procedural wooden house frame HDA, and have run into an issue. I'm trying to create a random floor plan, and have been stumped on how to move forward. Up until now, I've done like in the attached image, and drawn curves manually to create the walls from.

I just found the Lot Subdivision gamedev tool, and it seems like something that should get me really close to what I'm looking for. But I can't figure out how to remove the surrounding edges from the grid. I can split the ground plane, but the “Group by Unshared Edges” leaves me some central edges.

If anyone could help point in the right direction, it'd be really appreciated.

Thanks
Edited by Kronso - Aug. 20, 2019 03:06:56

Attachments:
justthese.jpg (571.9 KB)
woodframe.jpg (182.7 KB)
LotSubdivision.hip (101.0 KB)

3 posts
I'm sure there's a more elegant way to do this, but if it's always going to be a flat plane, the first thing that comes to mind is that you can use PolyExpand2D and PolyExtrude to create a volume from your original outline and use that to group the points along the outer edge. Then convert that point group to edges with only the fully contained elements to get your outer edge group. Lastly, use a GroupCombine to group all edges but your border edges. This should at least let you keep moving forward for now.

Attachments:
LotSubdivision.hip (520.4 KB)

Technical Artist @ Bluepoint Games

www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEINSyw2aLf8J4lGIH7wKA
www.linkedin.com/in/bhouse4031
9 posts
Seems elegant to me, thanks man! Learned a lot from that one. Poly Expand, and converting to edges using Group Promote was not known to me yet.

Thanks very much!
76 posts
Another non-elegant way i use a lot, polywire!

Attachments:
LotSubdivision_Fra.hip (485.8 KB)

• Quick Links