TOP HDA Processor not working in Apprentice version?

5158   6   4
3 posts
Hi,

I am following the tutorial “CREATE A TASK WORKFLOW TO BUILD CITIES” by Robert Magee of side/FX to the point of cooking the HDA Processor. The work item display turns red with no further error messages. Just saying: “failed 1” in the info box.

I tried the same thing with a new file and an example from the side/fx website (“example_top_hdaprocessor”)and got the same result. The node cooked, the work items display became green as normal and short before finishing changed to red.

Anything else in TOP's works great. This technology is awesome!

Is the Apprentice version of Houdini unable to work with HDA's in the TOP HDA Processor?

I am using Houdini Apprentice 17.5 with Mac OSX 10.14.2 on an iMac 27 inch late 2012.

Thanks
Uli
3 posts
Here is the error log:

Returned error code 1:

hda name: /Users/Uli/Desktop/tops_lesson_start/hda/Uli_test2.hdanc
operatortype: Sop/Uli_test2

Could not load /Users/Uli/Desktop/tops_lesson_start/pdgtemp/54028/Uli_test2.hdanc
HAPI Error: No Valid Licenses Found
- HAPI_LICENSE_MODE unset or is set to ‘default’ meaning Houdini Engine will first try to acquire a Houdini Engine license and if one is not found it will try to acquire an interactive Houdini license (Houdini Core then Houdini FX).
- No Houdini Engine license found.
- No Houdini license.
- Found a Houdini FX (Houdini Master) license but it is not the required commercial variant.
- No Houdini Engine Indie license found.
- No Houdini Indie license.
544 posts
The trouble here is that Apprentice does not include Houdini Engine. The HDA Processor relies on Houdini Engine to work - so when it can't find a license for it, it fails. You can basically achieve the same functionality with a ROP Geometry node though.
- Ken Xu
3 posts
Hi Ken,

thanks for the answer.

The PDG FAQ says:

Q | Can I use PDG in Houdini Indie and Houdini Apprentice?

A | Yes. Houdini Indie can access PDG using Task Operators to distribute tasks to a small compute farm using up to three Houdini Engine Indie licenses. PDG is also available in Houdini Apprentice for learning purposes but only works with the local scheduler to process tasks on the computer running Apprentice.

That means PDG is woking in Houdini Apprentice with the exception of the TOP HDA Processor Node?
544 posts
Yes, that's the only one that doesn't work - because it currently requires Houdini Engine and that's not available for Apprentice.
- Ken Xu
897 posts
Think this is underestimated issue as pdg needs test users.
B.Henriksson, DICE
603 posts
FYI This is addressed in the next major release.
  • Quick Links