Wire Object DOP gets erractic (hair on a sphere tut)

2834   2   1
61 posts
It's a sphere with lines attached at points to look and fall like hair. (example in The Magic of Houdini Book) Trying to create a more natural example than the book.

Simulation runs perfect for about 2 seconds (hair falls very naturally around the sphere) but then one at a time the wires start to freak out and it looks like my sphere/head is getting struck my lighting. zap-ouch!

What am I doing wrong?
~Shawn

WireObjDOP:
ComputeMass=ON, Denisty=10, Bounce=0, Friction=0
AngularSpringConstant=0, LinearSpringConstant=1000, AngularDampingConstand=0.002, Wire/VolumeCollisions=ON, VolumeOffset=0.15, WireCollisions=OFF, SelfCllisions=OFF
WireSolverDOP:
MaxiumSubsteps=8, SolveTolerance=0.0001

I am using the clothstitchconstraintDOP and RBDOjectDOP all default.

Touch Designer User
557 posts
Using the ClothStitchConstraint in this context is a sneaky cheat that doesn't really work, as you can see. Instead, use a WireGlueGroupConstraint (new in 8.1), and put the ‘root’ group in the first parameter field. Now it works fine.
61 posts
Thanks Craig,

Getting better results now. Sim acts like real hair falling onto the head. I was able to get rid of a vibrating effect from the hair bouncing off the top of the head with these values:

Wire Object DOP: ForceModel Tab;
Linear Spring Constant=500, Damping=0
Angular Spring Constant= 0, Damping=1

My only gripe is that the Wire Solver DOP is showing warnings because the wires are having too many collisions or continuous collisions.
In the Wire Object DOP/Collisions Tab, Volume is set to 0.15 so collisions are just outside of the Head/Sphere. I can decrease this to -0.1 and get less warnings but then the hair/wires end up resting inside the head.

There must be a way to keep hairs from resting too long on head. Maybe have Houdini recognize a hair/wire having too many collisions and skip over these until they become less frequent.

~Shawn
Touch Designer User
  • Quick Links