Fill in poly holes

2735   10   0
14 posts
Been really getting into houdini and trying to figure out how everything works, however I keep running into snags. I have this mesh that was built with planes to represent outside and inside walls, but I needed to fill in the holes. A couple of options I was looking into was using polybridge or polyfill. Polybridge will work, however I need a lot of them to really patch up the entire thing. Polyfill however will just cause houdini to just infinitely hang upon clicking the display button. I'm sure polyfill isn't supposed to hang infinitely and say not responding like this, but I might not be using it correctly. Is there a better way to fill in these loops of holes?

Attachments:
Capture2.PNG (102.2 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
what version of Houdini are you using?
you're right that Houdini shouldn't hang - can you file a bug report?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
14 posts
I am using Houdini FX Version 16.5.571 when I click the about under the help tab. It is a mesh I have made elsewhere in another program, but given that it's a bunch of planes I wouldn't think there is any issue with the mesh itself. I could make a bug report, but I'm basically just imported this mesh and adding the polyfill node. Then it hangs.
14 posts
Just wanted to bump this since it's been a while. Even though polyfill was acting weird with my mesh, is there any way to quickly fill these loops in without just polybridging them all 1 by 1?
8532 posts
PolyFill will most probably not work for you as from what you are saying those are not holes, but gaps between 2 parallel surfaces
(but if you want PolyFill to not hang change the Fill Mode to Single polygon or rather use it's alias called Poly Cap)

if your inside and outside walls have identical borders in terms of number of edges and their alignment then you can in theory for each of the inside wall edges lookup the closest edge from outside walls feed those pairs to PolyBridge

obviously an example scene featuring the issue would help
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
14 posts
Sorry for the late response, but here's an example of the thing I'm talking about.

Attachments:
area.hipnc (61.0 KB)

8532 posts
you need to lock your node or stash the geo as currently it cant find your fbx file
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
14 posts
How do I do that?

Actually I found it. I think this will work.
Edited by dragon3582 - Oct. 12, 2019 19:41:50

Attachments:
area.hipnc (69.3 KB)

8532 posts
PolyBridge between inside and outside wall based on name attribute seems to work for me here

Attachments:
area_fix.hipnc (76.6 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
14 posts
Huh. I could swear it didn't work earlier. I've had a lot of instances where sometimes houdini works and other times it completely bugs out, but it's been on different occasions for different reasons. I tested that myself and it worked fine, however when I tested the top floor it didn't like me doing that. I tried two different instances of it since I knew there was a problem area, so I blasted it and tried it again. For some reason all the windows try to connect to each other.
Edited by dragon3582 - Oct. 12, 2019 21:30:46

Attachments:
area2.hipnc (88.0 KB)

8532 posts
PolyBridge is probably matching islands of connected edges by order as it detects them which may vary for inside and outside groups

you can try something like this, where you do the matching yourself

Attachments:
area2_fix.hipnc (117.3 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links