Note to convert deleted! when creating an asset

6230   9   1
232 posts
Hi, I'm using the latest version of Houdini 17.5 Apprentice and following the Brickify tutorial (both PDF version and from Siggraph Hive). When I get to the point in the tutorial where I select multiple notes and create an asset from the menu then nodes I have selected do not collapse into a subgroup. Once I define the Operator name, provide ‘Save to Library’ path and press Accept - I get ‘Note to convert deleted’ error and no asset is created… Any thoughts on why?

Thank you
Luke
232 posts
Any ideas?
9 posts
I'm having this same exact problem, same tutorial, same version of Houdini Apprentice. Would like some help. I found a related post about having spaces in the windows user folder name, so I went through the tedious and somewhat risky process of renaming my user folder to remove the space (looks to have worked successfully), and that did not seem to make any difference. I've tried saving to some different locations than where the tutorial instructs, and have had various results from Houdini crashes to other errors.

There seems to be some conflicting info in this tutorial regarding this asset creation process as well. The text says to put it in $SHIP/hda, but if you look at the picture, it has $JOB/hda/brickify.hda (and the text doesn't mention naming the file, or changing the Operator Name and label as is shown in the picture. I also believe you must save the file as brickify.hdanc, due to the non commercial license, but this is not referenced in the tutorial either.
Staff
1182 posts
Since the project directory has been defined, both $JOB and $HIP will join to the same subdirectory. That shouldn't be your issue. I have encountered this from time to time with the asset menu but haven't been able to repeat the problem in a way that I can report it as a bug.

Another approach is to Select the nodes, put them into a subnetwork in the Node view then RMB-click on the subnetwork and choose “Create Digital Asset” - if that doesn't work then I'm not sure what the issue is.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
9 posts
Thanks for your assistance, with this method I was able to create the asset. It gave me an error about the tool shelf, and suggested it could be related to permissions, but this did not seem to effect anything, as I was able to continue the process via the tutorial. I wonder if these issues are related to some slight oddities in the way my computer was set up initially. I've changed the default location for program files from my c: drive to my e: drive, and my library files are also stored in a folder on e: drive rather than the default user folder. May not have anything to do with this, but it's something I noticed as the home folder is not pointing to my user directory as some tutorials have shown.
9 posts
Still having an issue apparently, as I continued onto the last phase of the tutorial, where you use the brickify asset on another piece of geometry, I found that I'm unable to instantiate a new brickify subnet from the tab menu, as it simply isn't to be found. I'm assuming this is a result of the tool shelf error that I saw when I created the asset. Now I was able to copy the original brickify subnet and paste it into the new geometry node so I was still able to proceed that way, but I find it problematic that this is not working as it should, and would appreciate any help in solving this.
Staff
1182 posts
If you can zip up your project directory and post it then I can look at what might have gone wrong.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
9 posts
I can try this, but I've duplicated the exact same issues within a completely separate and simple project, with just the most basic subnet of a few spheres on a grid. I also started the brickify tutorial over from scratch and had the same problems occur. I'm quite certain this is not an issue of having made any mistake in my project. I'm convinced it has something to do with either my PC configuration or my installation of houdini (I've considered uninstalling it and reinstall but haven't done so yet).

I've just made another related post in the apprentice/indy subforum, mostly related to finding workarounds to the problems I'm having, just an FYI. I thought perhaps there would be more attention there as I'm not sure this subforum is for helping new users with issues of this kind.

I'm very thankful of the help you've given me so far, and appreciate any further help as well of course. I'll see what I can do to attach the project files shortly.
Edited by darksolzero - Oct. 4, 2019 13:20:37

Attachments:
BrickifyTake2.zip (2.6 MB)

9 posts
This is the specific error that I get when I create the new digital asset, either by creating one from a subnet, or from using the option directly from the file menu “New Asset…”.

If I click on OK it lets me finish the process, but as I've mentioned, it won't let me add a new version of the asset into the scene as it doesn't exist within the tab menu in the network pane.
Edited by darksolzero - Oct. 4, 2019 13:20:26

Attachments:
houdiniError.png (46.9 KB)

9 posts
Update: I was able to solve the biggest issue here by running houdini as administrator. This allows me to save the asset without the permission error that I posted above. This then lets me access the asset through the tab menu, which was my primary concern. This did not solve the initial error with the node deleted notification, but since I was directed to a different method for creating the asset which works just fine, I'm happy with using this alternative method, and can continue moving forward with learning how to use this great software package. Thanks again for the help.
  • Quick Links