VDB remove interior

6177   6   1
336 posts
because of the way I'm combining VDB volumes, on conversion I'm getting a lot of polygons on the inside of the mesh, I'm sure there's a way to remove interior voxel data based on a threshold, I'm just not sure exactly how to go about it, tips?
900 posts
are u converting it to polygons?

there's tool in the gamedev toolset called delete small parts
336 posts
I actually figured out a brute force method: Convert to poly, convert back to VDB and then convert to poly once again. Interior prims are culled because the VDB conversion only looks at airtight geometry, at least that's what I think is going on. Either way, it works like a charm.
23 posts
If your polygons are floating on the inside of the mesh and not connected to the outer shell another thing you can try is to convert VDB to polygons just once then plug that into the first input of a boolean sop. Leave the second input of the boolean empty. If the polys are floating on the inside that should remove them and leave just the outer mesh. Saw that on a tutorial somewhere, you can throw down test geometry rubber toy then plug it into the first input of a boolean and see what it does to the inside of the mesh.
336 posts
Great tip, that seems to do the trick
8525 posts
you can also just delete all pieces with negative volume (Measure SOP per connected piece), which are usually all inside pieces since they have inverted normals
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
59 posts
doing a vdb resample(voxel size only(refer from the after vdb conversion value) or voxel scale at 1) is removing inside vdbs after the vdb from particles, super fast,
make sure rebuild SDF is checked on
Edited by Sweetener - Nov. 28, 2021 01:33:00
Houdini Fx Artist (Build)
  • Quick Links