Automatically fix mesh tunnels/holes

3828   4   2
13 posts
Hi,

Sometimes in photogrammetry scanning, holes/tunnels appear on thin surfaces like on ears and cloth (please see image and model attached). Is it possible to detect them in Houdini automatically? Idea is to solve these issues on multiple scans running a few SOP's on a sequence of OBJ's.

Geomagic software can detect them as Small Tunnels and you can delete them there and cap the holes easily, so it is possible to define them mathematically although I can't find any tools in Houdini that can do the same.

Thank you!

Attachments:
mesh_tunnels_example.jpg (532.9 KB)
mesh_tunnels_example.OBJ (1.1 MB)

143 posts
Hello
I think there's several way of doing this
but a simple approach would be to use VDB…
like this :

and add more smoothing then maybe some remesh node after this…
it all depend of what you need at the end…

Attachments:
Clipboard01.jpg (164.2 KB)
close_holes.hiplc (127.2 KB)

13 posts
Hey Benjamin,

Thank you for taking time. This way is no go for me as I need to preserve all mesh details and UV's. Ideally I just need to fill up those holes. Do you know any other way?

Thank you!
143 posts
Hello Alexander
Personally i would use this technic or just manually retopology. As your holes are not really holes…i mean your mesh is already watertight.. In case of real holes you can use polyfill node. Maybe someone else as another solution but i know that captured data always need manual fixing…or buying a super expensive 3D scanner…

I wish you to find a solution !

Benjamin
Edited by Benjamin Lemoine - Oct. 13, 2019 06:35:19
1 posts
hello need help
following this video: https://vimeo.com/116176349 [vimeo.com] the method applies very well to the flip tank but not the flat tank there I really do not understand why there is this difference yet when I look at the parameters seem to be almost the same. my goal is to float an object on the ocean ie an object rbd and on a wave tank.
I thought of an interaction with vellum but I have the impression that there is no interaction between vellum objects and ocean objects can be like I do not know yet I do not know how to put them in interaction.

thanks for your help
  • Quick Links