How to drive parameter with point attributes

2732   2   2
1 posts
Hi, I'm very new to Houdini and I have a question.

I want to use @Cd.r attribute value to drive the height of the mountain node. I did try using attribute promote to change the attribute type to detail, but on the spreadsheet it seems it's not transferring datas of all individual points.

I also tried using point(0, 0, “Cd”, 0) in height parameter, but because of second 0, it just seems its only getting the @Cd.r value of the point number 0.

I want individual points to have different height value(same as @Cd.r value) on the mountain node.

How do I do this?

Image Not Found

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.58.50 PM.png (1.5 MB)

7762 posts
You cannot do that. The mountain node is an hda that wraps a regular attribute vop. The parameters cannot be driven by attribute values. (technically it can using point() expression but that would drive the height with just one point's value)

There's a couple ways to go about controlling the height with an attribute.
  1. Unlock and edit the mountain, adding a bound attribute to the attrib vop within that modifies the height being used.
  2. Use subsequent nodes to compute a delta value, and mix it back to the original using the attribute value.
  3. Use the attribute composite node.
475 posts
Hi,

it looks like, that you can also set a point (float) attribute, which is used by the mountain node as height mulitplier (for each point).

Attachments:
mountain_height.hipnc (121.3 KB)

• Quick Links