Houdini Installation issue on Manjaro

13031   26   6
6 posts
hi guys i cant install Houdini license server on Manjaro linux, here is the output :

Cannot figure out where to put system startup scripts
Please install manually
*** NOTE ***
Some install errors seem to have occurred.
Your installation may not be complete.
Please correct any serious problems and re-install if necessary.
6 posts
hi i found the solustion:

sudo mkdir /etc/init.d/

then install sesinetd, if doesn't work copy sesinetd file that i attached here to /etc/init.d/ and try to install again.
Edited by Hossein Safaei - Jan. 18, 2019 05:39:25

Attachments:
sesinetd (5.0 KB)

63 posts
Hey, thanks, this fix works for ArcoLinux, too…
63 posts
Update: The previous doesn't auto-start sesinetd or even register it as a service, but I managed to figure out how to write a systemd service file that works on it's own…Now one can simply ignore the “cannot figure out where to put files” error when installing houdini, and just copy this .service file to /usr/lib/systemd/system (/etc/systemd/system didn't work; it kept making the wrong symlinks and then complained that the file/service already existed), and enable+start it either by
(your-preferred-root-method) systemctl enable sesinetd; (your-preferred-root-method) systemctl start sesinetd
or via kcm-systemd (or other auto-systemd-reloading systemd GUI manager)…

Attachments:
sesinetd.service (413 bytes)

6 posts
HongMao
sesinetd.service

Hi Hong!
Tell please, I have successfully running Houdini under last manjaro distro,
but I can't automate this environment running steps and I need to run them manually in terminal in each manjaro desktop session:

cd '/opt/hfs18.5.596'
source houdini_setup
sesinetd

Can you mind me please, how to run it with some kind of script, and where to put this script for run at boot? thanks!!!
3 posts
Hey guys,

Quick updated how I am able to run on Manjaro 21.1.0.

So the issue seems to be because Houdini license is made to start its service using the outdated init.d while more modern distros have opt out towards systemd for all service management. And Arch linux and therefore Manjaro, doesn't even have init.d folder anymore. That's why on houdini install, the installer log complains about not setting up all paths or scripts properly as it is most likely (speculating here) made for a pretty old CentOS.

1. So to fix it, first I created init.d folder just as Hossein Safaei suggests - sudo mkdir /etc/init.d/
2. Then run the installer and houdini installer will make sesinetd file in there.
3. Just as HongMao suggests you can now create a systemd.service file to autorun the houdini lic service. But I had issue with his .service files as it was pointing to H17.5 folder and that is going to change when you install other Houdini versions. I also had other issues even specifying the right H18.5 folder as it is the latest version.

So I just got rid of his line there and pointed to the original /etc/init.d folder where Houdini installed the sesinetd. This way it will execute the sesinetd on autostart the same way you would do it manually from the terminal using the command: /etc/init.d/sesinetd start
So including this line

ExecStart=/etc/init.d/sesinetd start

in the .service file - which was then placed in /usr/lib/systemd/system.

You can also download my version of HongMao's sesinetd.service which works for me and it is pointing to the init.d so it should work with other houdini versions, as long as:
A) you make sure you have init.d folder in /etc and
B) Houdini installer continues to add the sesinetd file in /etc/init.d/

So download the sesinetd.service file and place it in usr/lib/systemd/system/

Image Not Found

This should apply for other Distros as well, that are not supporting init.d anymore.

Cheers,
Martin

Attachments:
sesinetd.service (340 bytes)

63 posts
Thanks Martinium!
6 posts
martinium
Hey guys,

working, grand thanks!
Edited by dosyanich - Nov. 10, 2021 13:42:57
88 posts
Hello,

I got houdini 18.5 working without issues but now with hudini 19 sesinetd doesn`t seem to want to launch (except after install)

If i do sesinetd start it returns Starting Houdini License server.

but when i run stop it tells me no server found running plz start before retrying.

:EDIT Problem weirdly semi fixed itself.
Edited by TangheStudent - Dec. 2, 2021 03:24:06
1 posts
Hi,

According I did just now what Martinium suggested previously and it works for me. I am using Garuda with the Dragonized theme and its working now for me. I was having the same problem.

What I did was to run this command in the terminal sudo mkdir /etc/init.d/ and then just reinstall Houdini.

After this is checked the folder /etc/init.d/ to see if its populated and I found the sesinetd file over there. I then executed the file in a terminal and was able to in install my license.

I hope this helps
3 posts
Hi, I was thinking about trying out Manjaro and Houdini 18.5. Are there any really noticeable benefits to using manjaro, and also has does Redshift work on Manjaro?
6 posts
jchall
Hi, I was thinking about trying out Manjaro and Houdini 18.5. Are there any really noticeable benefits to using manjaro, and also has does Redshift work on Manjaro?

hi
about Manjaro - ideally to check youtube reviews or like this.
18.5 working well, with 470 nvidia driver.
Redshift no prob in total too.
3 posts
Thanks! Ill check it out. I have not been able to get Redshift to work on Pop_Os 20.04
63 posts
martinium
Hey guys,

So the issue seems to be because Houdini license is made to start its service using the outdated init.d while more modern distros have opt out towards systemd for all service management. And Arch linux and therefore Manjaro, doesn't even have init.d folder anymore. That's why on houdini install, the installer log complains about not setting up all paths or scripts properly as it is most likely (speculating here) made for a pretty old CentOS.

1. So to fix it, first I created init.d folder just as Hossein Safaei suggests - sudo mkdir /etc/init.d/
2. Then run the installer and houdini installer will make sesinetd file in there.
3. Just as HongMao suggests you can now create a systemd.service file to autorun the houdini lic service. But I had issue with his .service files as it was pointing to H17.5 folder and that is going to change when you install other Houdini versions. I also had other issues even specifying the right H18.5 folder as it is the latest version.

So I just got rid of his line there and pointed to the original /etc/init.d folder where Houdini installed the sesinetd. This way it will execute the sesinetd on autostart the same way you would do it manually from the terminal using the command: /etc/init.d/sesinetd start
So including this line

ExecStart=/etc/init.d/sesinetd start

in the .service file - which was then placed in /usr/lib/systemd/system.

You can also download my version of HongMao's sesinetd.service which works for me and it is pointing to the init.d so it should work with other houdini versions, as long as:
A) you make sure you have init.d folder in /etc and
B) Houdini installer continues to add the sesinetd file in /etc/init.d/

So download the sesinetd.service file and place it in usr/lib/systemd/system/

Image Not Found

This should apply for other Distros as well, that are not supporting init.d anymore.

Cheers,
Martin

New problem with sesinetd:

[2021-12-30 13:12:15] Licensing [Manager] - Failed to find gid from name (www-data).
[2021-12-30 13:12:15] Licensing [Manager] - Failed to find uid from name (www-data).
172 posts
Did you find how to fix it? The problem still persist.
Failed to find gid from name (www-data).
I contribute to the beauty of this world
6 posts
deviner
Did you find how to fix it? The problem still persist.
Failed to find gid from name (www-data).

just write in hou support email, probably they can suggest a solution. Not a particular Manjaro issue for my taste.
172 posts
one solution:

support:
sesinetd 19.0+ runs as www-data on Linux. It's possible _www or sesinetd users haven't been created on your machine causing the license server to not start.
You can try creating it manually.

It was sufficient to create a www-data user and a group with the same name and add 'myusername' to the www-group in my case

Also: add RemainAfterExit=true in your systemd service, sometimes it stops right after it starts.
https://superuser.com/a/1240000 [superuser.com]
Edited by Ivan L - Nov. 25, 2022 13:44:56
I contribute to the beauty of this world
83 posts
when i run houdini in manjaro its write me

"libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

and in manjaro i can't find libGLU package soo how did you solve it?

thanks
6 posts
habernir
when i run houdini in manjaro its write me

"libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

and in manjaro i can't find libGLU package soo how did you solve it?

thanks
hi! Seems like it's a part of OpenGL libraries and probably you have missed some:

Attachments:
photo_2023-01-20_20-52-17.jpg (49.4 KB)

83 posts
thanks
  • Quick Links