Houdini And Hackintosh, best GPU

3743   8   0
28 posts
Hi Im an Ubuntu Houdini user, but I miss OSX a lot, for a lot of reasons that I dont pretend explain here. Im thinking to try, one more time a Hackintosh. I had a Not that good experience in houdini and Hackintosh, because when I had it, it crashes a lot, of course in ubuntu almost never happend. I would give another oportunity to hackintosh but whit a new gpu. So the question is, if I have to buy a new GPU, Im sinking to expend something like 600-700 euros (new or used, maybe a quadro), what do you recommend? Remmember that the key point is Hackintos and off course, houdini.
4189 posts
I've a AMD RX 580 8GB running 10.14 and it's much better than the GTX 980/1080. Still have issues on MacOs, compared to Unbuntu, but it's survivable.. kind of…
833 posts
I'm a Houdini hackintosh user and I find it to be considerably stable. What I would suggest is an AMD RX 5700 XT which will be supported officially in the upcoming Catalina 10.15.1 update which should be out any day now.

If you're having a lot of Houdini crashes in OSX, the first culprit is likely write permissions. I find that 9 out of 10 times an app in OSX crashes it's due to not having full permissions to write files such as caches.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
28 posts
Thank you both for the comments, very helpfull. In my Old hackintosh I had a gtx 970 and was painful how much it crashes, maybe was that, or maybe the permission, never check that. Some one near to me is offering a
Nvidia Quadro M6000 Pro, is a real opportunity, what do you think about that video card and hackintosh for houdini?
Thank you very much.
4189 posts
Not sure is non-mac Nvidia GPUs are supported above 10.13.

AMD is the future with MacOS.
833 posts
I agree with Goat, it's time to drop Nvidia if you're interested in using OSX. I was hoping that perhaps once Catalina released Nvidia would surprise everyone – they didn't. Next, the new Mac Pros are supposedly coming out in early November (weird…like at the same time as H18?), so there's another opportunity for Nvidia to surprise everyone – I doubt they will.

I think the RX 5700 XT or the RADEON VII is the way to go for anyone wanting to keep using OSX.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
28 posts
I think RADEON VII will be my choise. Thank you very much for all this support.
4189 posts
Great! If you could, try to post bugs you find to SideFX. i.e. hair guides dissapears on MacOS in HQ lighting.. Ubuntu has none of these issues.
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - Oct. 23, 2019 18:48:09

Attachments:
Hair HQ.gif (152.5 KB)

4189 posts
martinlarravide
I think RADEON VII will be my choise.

Could also go a AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 - it's now officially supported for MacOS:
https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/supported-graphics-cards/ [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links