What would you recommend me to learn?

1917   7   0
6 posts
I realize this is a superficial question so let me share more about my personal interests:

Things I like/love/intrigued by:
- abstract art
- particles/hair/traces
- growing/shrinking
- patterns moving/looking alive
- hard surface and organic environment that look alive (even when it's not moving)
- dark stuff, alchemist, subtle gore
- broken stuff like a wall, but only if it's part of abstract art comp
- desintegration
- stuff that looks so weird it's beautiful (except those sphinx cats, they creep me out)
- smoke/fog/poison/gas

Eventhough H is very strong in this, I'm less interested in:
- fire
- destruction
- crowds

H is a beast of a program so I like to focus on a few areas instead of trying stuff all over the place. For example, w
With so many types of OPS, I'm sure some are used more for certain areas than others, so maybe someone can list me the ones I definitely should learn first related to the stuff I like.

Hopefully this topic doesn't look like super noob, but I favor learning/working efficient and effective

Thanks in advance.

PS: Of course I already found the Entagma videos, MOPS, Simon, MvM
Staff
3455 posts
you'd be better off taking something that you like - an example image from your list - and try to reproduce it in Houdini
you'll learn how to break down an image/effect into it's smaller parts
and by trying to re-create these things you'll start learning how to use Houdini and the operators that are most applicable to that task.

HTH
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
6 posts
goldfarb
you'd be better off taking something that you like - an example image from your list - and try to reproduce it in Houdini
you'll learn how to break down an image/effect into it's smaller parts
and by trying to re-create these things you'll start learning how to use Houdini and the operators that are most applicable to that task.

HTH

Would you advise against learning it the let's say .. high school way? First the list with these OPS, this does this, this does that, etc, then the following list with these OPS, etc?

When I look at images from Entagma, MvM, etc, I honestly have no clue what exactly I am looking at haha, it just looks cool!
900 posts
It seems you are leaning to generative art?
I think a good pre-Houdini course like the nature of code [natureofcode.com] could be useful to set some good foundation (at least the first chapters)

ps. there are tons of Houdini tutorials for beginners. You might want to watch them, before diving into Entagma's tuts.
Edited by Andr - Oct. 28, 2019 02:41:01
Staff
3455 posts
DragonSpike
Would you advise against learning it the let's say .. high school way? First the list with these OPS, this does this, this does that, etc, then the following list with these OPS, etc?

lots of Operators are used in all kinds of areas - some, like the Heightfield SOP are used mostly for Terrains, but the, lets say ‘top 30 nodes’ are used for everything…
learning the nodes on their own can be useful - most/all have example files linked in their doc page - but without some context it will be pretty boring.

First, go through all the Introduction/Basics tutorials to get familiar with Houdini's UI and workflow then find a SMALL project that you'd like to do and give it a try. Pop back here if you get stuck or have a question.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
6 posts
Andr
It seems you are leaning to generative art?
I think a good pre-Houdini course like the nature of code [natureofcode.com] could be useful to set some good foundation (at least the first chapters)

ps. there are tons of Houdini tutorials for beginners. You might want to watch them, before diving into Entagma's tuts.

Thanks, will check out that website.

I think it's generative arts(?). Something like that Nike HyperVenom stuff done ManvMachine, not that I'm a sneakerfan, but the looks of those surfaces changing like it's alive.
6 posts
goldfarb
DragonSpike

lots of Operators are used in all kinds of areas - some, like the Heightfield SOP are used mostly for Terrains, but the, lets say ‘top 30 nodes’ are used for everything…
learning the nodes on their own can be useful - most/all have example files linked in their doc page - but without some context it will be pretty boring.

First, go through all the Introduction/Basics tutorials to get familiar with Houdini's UI and workflow then find a SMALL project that you'd like to do and give it a try. Pop back here if you get stuck or have a question.

Oke thanks. Will google the top 30 nodes and look for small projects that include some of them, cheers.
205 posts
And don't forget the superb example projects in the docs!

Watching tutorials is one thing to get an insight, but dissecting project files and experimenting with them will get you probably even further.
  • Quick Links