Vellum - Breaking / Shedding Hair

4313   9   1
95 posts
Hello everyone,

I've a project where i want to simulate some hair with vellum. The hair should break and fall to the ground over time but i can't get it to work.
I tried and gave the hair some breaking points and scaled the break threshold by a breaking attribute that i have distributed over the points. But no luck. By the way: if someone has a better idea how to simulate hairloss, please let me know

Maybe someone can help me out? I attached a simple example of what i tried.

As an additional question: I learned that i have to put a guideskinattriblookup right after the vellum sim to get the hair back and it should go straight in the second input of the hairgen. But as soon as i do that, my hair gets cut off. (It's working without the vellum sim though)

Anyway plsease have a look at the file; any help is much appreciated

Attachments:
Test_Vellum_Groom.hiplc (2.3 MB)

95 posts
Any Hair Artist around?
172 posts
Did you try to use a smaller value like
f@breaking = 0.005;
and disable attribrandomize, do your random in vex
f@breaking = fit(rand(@ptnum),0,1,0.004,.2);
I contribute to the beauty of this world
95 posts
okay, thats slightly embarrassing now, but a lower number did the trick
So thanks for that hint.
But I wasn't able to animate this threshold properly; keyframing the breaking value doesn't seem to have an effect.

I even figured out what was causing the hair cut off in the hairgen after the vellum solver: it's the convertline-thing i did above. But I need that to get the breaking. So how do I convert it back after vellum to “what-ever-it-was” to get proper hair generation?
95 posts
Still looking for a solution. Especially for the convertline-thing :/
tried polypath but didn`t work
1737 posts
Partial fix attached, might help you a bit.

I moved the pins to their own constraint. To keyframe constraint properties over time you need to use a vellum constraint properties node inside the solver. Constraints outside are only read on the first frame.

Attachments:
Test_Vellum_Groom_simple_hair_drop.hiplc (1.5 MB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
95 posts
Yes Thank you. Thats helping indeed.

The last thing that really gives me some headache is the hairgen. Plugging the vellum outcome in the hairgen ends up in some weird results. This is strange because vellum works fine with simple hair simulations (without shedding).

Right now (with the hip-file you kindly provided), the hair is just dissolving over time (which is a cool effect, but not what I'm looking for) and I really wonder why this is happening.
95 posts
Hello again,

as I couldn't figure out how to transfer the guide hair to the actual hairgen with the breaking activated, I tried doing the vellum sim right after the hair generation itself. This is indeed working but comes with a slight issue.
As you can see, most of the hair is falling down as expected but some haitstrings stay attached to the surface. I really have no clue why this is happening at all as all of the hair should break with a threshold of 0.

Please have a look at the right branch of my file. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments:
Test_Vellum_Groom_simple_hair_drop.hiplc (1.7 MB)
HairGen_Houdini.png (1.0 MB)

555 posts
I've chucked the file in your thread on odforce if you wanna have a look

Attachments:
Hair.gif (3.3 MB)

95 posts
great
thank you, just had a look and it's working just fine

For anyone looking, the solution can be found here:
Vellum - Breaking / Shedding Hair [forums.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links