Windows Insider builds not supported

1287   1   0
40 posts
I notice on the download page that: “Please note that Houdini does not support Windows Insider Build”. I was wondering if there is any clarity on what this might mean. Is it guaranteed to not work, or does this just mean that SideFX would not support this configuration.

I'm already running a pretty unsupported configuration (Gentoo Linux, which I need for my job), and was able to get that working. Depending on whether I can get all of the pieces working, I may be able to save some money by only putting a good GPU in a Windows machine, instead of also in the Linux machine. But, to do that, I'd also need to run Houdini on the Windows machine. But, to be able to not have so much machine duplication, I'd need WSL2, which is currently only available on the Windows Insider Build.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried it, and if what I'd expect would be typical random things don't work because it is a pre-release, or no hope of anything working. I might also be able to come up with something for dual booting, just so I can go back to the other setup, but I'm not sure how the Indie license would work with a Dual boot machine.

Thanks,
David
7741 posts
I think it's mostly an unknown, and unsupported if it doesn't work. It has broken in the past and that is why they put up the warning.
  • Quick Links