Houdini name convention to work with Substance painter match by mesh name

3194   4   1
1 posts
Hello everybody, Thanks in advance.

I need help with Houdini name convention to work with Substance painter match by mesh name feature. I would quote the fellow member GaryHanna that posted the same doubt some time ago but unfortunally
was not answered. https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/51026/ [www.sidefx.com]

Basically here is his post:

“…Also how do you get Substance Painter to recognize the different mesh names? I've tried group names matching with _high and _low suffixes to isolate baking to mesh parts as well as attribute primitive strings with the name of the mesh with the suffix…and Painter can't read the parts independently of one another and feels like I'm forced to explode the mesh to bake. I hope the only way isn't to have EVERY PART at the object level as that's not practical. The mesh in question I want on ONE texture sheet so no I do not want a separate material index for each single part in case anyone suggests that …..”

Thanks for your help.
9 posts
Hi!

Been having the same issues for a long time and I've finally came over this post on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Houdini/comments/cgyce1/houdini_to_substance_udims/ [www.reddit.com]

So what you can do is to assign a “shop_materialpath” (primitive attribute) in a primitive wrangle with the mesh name and that will count as the mesh name in substance painter.

It doesn't have to be a real material path, the name is what matters:
s@shop_materialpath = “myobject_low”;

I've tested it on .obj and .fbx, both works

Chers!
Edited by heinzelnisse - Nov. 22, 2019 02:08:08
24 posts
you can check build hierarchy from path attribute and write "name" instead of path
51 posts
lebref
you can check build hierarchy from path attribute and write "name" instead of path
alembic right?
51 posts
heinzelnisse
nt as the mesh name in substance painter.

It doesn't have to be a real material path, the name is what matters
this did not work for me. they parts still came in as texture sets and were not available as mesh names.
  • Quick Links