Best workflow for importing an image and model it?

5804   6   1
60 posts
Hi folks,

New user here!

What is the best workflow to import a 2D image, then start to create a model from it?

Up til now the only way i managed to import an image was as a background. Is that the correct way?

But what if i want to import two images and move them around to the correct position, then base a model on that. Is that possible?

I don't need a “do xyz” explanation, just some pointers as to the kind of node i should use to import and place an image, and maybe how to place a model on top and how to change the opacity of both while modelling. Or a link to a good tutorial would also be great.

Thanks!
37 posts
- In a geo node : Load an image in a file node and it will create an image plane. I think the size is 1 unit == 1 pixel. The resulting object is a 2D volume you can manipulate as you wish.

- In a geo node : Use a cop2net node. Load image in there. Result is roughly the same as above, but you'll have a bit more options like gamma, resolution and obj type. etc. You can also edit the image in the COP as needed.

- Load images into your network view. Use ctrl-i to arrange them. I like this method a lot for reference images im not using directly for modeling.
60 posts
Great, thanks, will give that a try!
2 posts
Personally, I create models in a blender, so I can recommend a blender. You can add any image to the blender and do literally anything with it. I use these images for my web projects. I have been designing for about two years. I don't stop improving my skills and enriching my knowledge. It seems to me that the profession of a web designer is developing very quickly, so there are innovations that you need to have time to follow and take into account. Using vector graphics [depositphotos.com] in creative projects has become popular because such illustrations are easy to use and format. I think a lot of web designers are using this tool.
Edited by JonyWest - Dec. 30, 2021 08:27:16
216 posts
Hello @Dazzer123,

I personnally use a simple grid with a quickshade and visualize node to make it always shaded even on wireframe mode.

Sometime I combine them with a viewport top background image where the advantage here is image it's always visible even in solo object mode.
I also use "wireframe" in preference instead of "wireframe shaded" to better see behind objects.

Hope that help !
Edited by julca - Dec. 6, 2021 06:03:18

Attachments:
image_plane.hiplc (403.1 KB)
image_plane.jpg (176.4 KB)

679 posts
there is also the "reference image" OBJ node.

Cheers
CYTE
216 posts
CYTE
there is also the "reference image" OBJ node.
Didn't know about this one , thanks !
  • Quick Links