macOS Catalina HDK hcustom issues

1717   4   2
157 posts
Hello,

I recently upgraded my mac to MacOS Catalina and hcustom doesn't want to work for me.

There seems to be 2 issues.

1. clang++ does not like one of the default c flags “-arch unknown” as seen below when running “hcustom -c”

-DVERSION=\“17.5.425\” -D_GNU_SOURCE -DMBSD -DMBSD_COCOA -DMBSD_INTEL -arch unknown -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=4 -DFBX_ENABLED=1 -DOPENCL_ENABLED=1 -DOPENVDB_ENABLED=1 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c -mmacosx-version-min=10.10 -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -std=c++14 -isystem /Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.425/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/toolkit/include -isystem /Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.425/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/toolkit/include/python2.7 –sysroot='/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk' -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O3

When I change that flag manually to x86_64 or just remove it completely I get issue #2.

2. I get this error.

/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.425/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:1221:12: error:
cast from pointer to smaller type ‘uint’ (aka ‘unsigned int’) loses
information
return (uint)ptr;

Any ideas? I also tried using Houdini 17.0.416 and the brand new 18.0.287 but still get the same results.
Edited by MattPuchala - Nov. 28, 2019 07:00:04
Matt Puchala
www.mattpuchala.com
Staff
727 posts
It looks like there is an issue with $MACHTYPE being set to “unknown” for tcsh on Catalina, which causes some issues with old code in hcustom for supporting 32-bit or PPC compilation. This should be fixed soon, but you could also consider using the HDK CMake module too

For step 2 you also missed the -DAMD64 and -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=8 flags, so you're attempting to compile 32-bit code paths.
Staff
727 posts
This should be fixed in tomorrow's 17.5 build, and the daily 18.0 builds once they're available
157 posts
Changing those flags does the trick!

Thanks for the help!
Matt Puchala
www.mattpuchala.com
157 posts
I can confirm that the fix worked for Houdini 17.5.454!

Thanks again!
Matt Puchala
www.mattpuchala.com
  • Quick Links