Houdini 18 Crashes with Karma

3623   8   2
50 posts
I am trying to render Fur using Karma but Houdini crashes every time,I don't understand what I am doing wrong, I have enclosed scene file for your consideration
Edited by gregjenings - Nov. 28, 2019 23:33:44

Attachments:
untitled18.hipnc (928.1 KB)

146 posts
Report to SideFx directly https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/15603/ [www.sidefx.com]
7741 posts
The switchlightingbsdf vop makes karma crash. I think this issue is already known, but thanks for submitting the issue.

If you remove this node from the hair shader, the scene doesn't crash.

Attachments:
untitled18.zip (152.4 KB)
hairshader_fix.png (1.1 MB)

50 posts
Thank you for your reply, Can you let me know How can I render region using Karma?
7741 posts
Render regions are not implemented in Hydra yet. For an offline render with Karma, you can set the crop window.
50 posts
Can I Pause the render while I perform material adjustments, The moment I change something it automatically resumes render even if I paused it.
50 posts
In the Same Fur file, Mantra and Karma renderers give different results, Even their viewport display gives a different result.
I don't know should I change my groom or it is some sort of Bug as without using LOPS Arnold also give me similar render as Mantra render. For your better understanding, I am sharing a few images.

Attachments:
Mantra_1.jpg (580.4 KB)
Karma1.jpg (579.3 KB)
Mantra2.jpg (409.6 KB)
Karma2.jpg (647.3 KB)

7741 posts
Are you sure it's the same? Did you author subdivision scheme on the skin mesh? Is the groom being imported from the correct SOP? Is the curve basis configured?

It's highly unlikely that geometry will be different as USD.
50 posts
SO here is what I have done so far I had a mesh and used object merge node so that I had another geo for Hair, applied my Hair on it and then LOPS when I use the same merge geo for Fur it shows what is there in the images shared before though when I used the original geo instead of “merge geo” the result is fine, I don't understand why it should cause any variance in rendering and viewport displays of both renderers maybe I am wrong since I am using Houdini for fur for the first time.

I don't understand what you mean by curve basis configured, please elaborate a bit please do consider me as a novice.

I would highly appreciate if you can let me know why when I save my image in Jpeg format it becomes bit dark though on viewport it shows the correct colour (seems like gamma info missing), In MANTRA I have not faced such an issue May there is some option I need to turn on in KARMA so that it embeds gamma info to my jpeg image , honestly I don't know if my workflow is correct(linear) or not in KARMA

I have also observed that viewport rendering in KARMA takes lesser time than rendering it in batch mode, How can I get same time for both viewport and batch rendering which options I should tweak so that I can optimise my render time in a better manner.
  • Quick Links