Basic color question

832   4   1
60 posts
Hi folks,

I really am a dummy with color.

I just realized that with a color node, the brightest colors available are if you set one of the RGB values to 3.

And if you set all 3 values to 3, you have pure white.

So why do the sliders only go up to 1 by default?

Color me confused!
Edited by Dazzer123 - Dec. 2, 2019 18:08:38
7734 posts
The brightest color that can be displayed in rgb space is 1. Where are you seeing it where values above one produce pure white? Some film-look colorspaces attempt to map overbright values to fit into the displayable range. Are you using a filmic OCIO profile?

Or are you talking about albedo (diffuse color)? In that case the highest possible albedo is 1, which would be 100% reflective. Although, it might not look pure white since lighting has to be taken into account.

For point/vertex color there is also the default shader to be taken into account, which defaults to an albedo of 40%. This an make color applied with the color sop appear darker since it is multiplied. To see the ‘pure’ color, assign a material with the diffuse color set to 100%.
60 posts
Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply, i'll need to investigate it with regard to your comments.

Meanwhile, see below for what i'm seeing in Houdini!
Edited by Dazzer123 - Dec. 2, 2019 19:09:54

Attachments:
image (1).png (302.2 KB)
image.png (243.6 KB)

7734 posts
Dazzer123
Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply, i'll need to investigate it with regard to your comments.

Meanwhile, see below for what i'm seeing in Houdini!

Okay, this is the material issue I was talking about before. You can change the default material by opening the display properties. The default diffuse is 0.4 or something like that. Change it to 1.0 to get more of a wysiwyg display for vertex colors.
60 posts
Thanks mate, that fixes it, thanks for sharing the knowledge once again!
  • Quick Links