Karma crash - are there specific requirements?

2942   5   1
73 posts
I've tried testing Karma on 2 machines - a Surface Book 2 w/ an Nvidia 1060 and a workstation with multiple Titan cards. On both machines the moment I try Karma I get a load of DLL errors related to Optix.

I've totally uninstalled and reinstalled 18 with the same results.

Does it only work with RTX cards?

Is there a compatibility list somewhere?

Thanks

Paul
7762 posts
Try using the default dso error level of 0. Setting it to 2 seems to result in a bunch of benign errors when starting Karma. They don't interfere with it though. Karma doesn't use a gpu, it should run on any hardware that supports Houdini.
710 posts
That option btw is set in the houdini.env file in your Houdini home directory:
HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 0

It may also not be a bad idea to keep the Nvidia drivers up-to-date. I don't think that's the issue here, but it has helped with Optix related issues with Redshift and V-Ray.
73 posts
Thank you! That did the trick!

I never put 2 and 2 together. I've seen the DSO ERROR setting a million times, but when hit with loads of DSO errors didn't think once about the ENV file.

Thanks for the fast fix!

-Paul
81 posts
Hello there,

I also have Karma freezing my computer every time I try to render something. Not right at the beginning of the rendering process, but shortly after. I always have to force restart my computer.

I have an AMD Radeon 580 as GPU.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Thanks
7762 posts
anbt
Hello there,

I also have Karma freezing my computer every time I try to render something. Not right at the beginning of the rendering process, but shortly after. I always have to force restart my computer.

I have an AMD Radeon 580 as GPU.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Thanks

Sounds like your computer is unstable. Inadequate board power delivery or power supply, or an unstable overclock. Is it an AMD platform? I've heard they can be unstable when using Houdini if PBO is enabled.
  • Quick Links