What is the Houdini workflow for retopologizing cloth? Solution Found

2162   5   3
109 posts
I want to retopologize and subdivide my triangle mesh cloth with quads and clean uv's, for sculpting-in details in zbrush. I would like to retopologize my tri mesh while flat, and then transfer the point positions by uv. I've tried the uv transfer node to go from the flat tri mesh pattern to the flat-quad retopologized pattern with no luck. How would I go about doing this? Thanks!

Updating Original Post: I found the solution, and there were a few typos in my initial instructions. Please read through to see the corrections and let me know if anything isn't working as described.
Edited by decksounds - Dec. 10, 2019 16:57:18
109 posts
I was able to get fairly close to what I wanted using the method below. My issue now is trying to get the seams to line up with proper point count and placement of loops for welding the panels together. I remeshed for this but retopologizing the flat meshes manually would probably get things oriented properly.

I hope this helps someone out, and if anyone thinks of another way to deal with the welding issue I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers.

Note: This is a Marvelous Designer import, which comes with nice uv's on the triangle output already. I want to preserve them on the retopologized mesh which can be done with the method below. It is similar to a frequently used process in Maya using attribute transfer.

First off, the goal was to go from something like this:

… to something like this:

And here are some screenshots to show how I set it up:

The flat-triangle mesh.

The flat-retopoligized mesh.

Here is the seam-issue
Edited by decksounds - Dec. 9, 2019 17:27:45

Attachments:
fabric_retopo_8.PNG (726.4 KB)
fabric_retopo_1.PNG (463.9 KB)
fabric_retopo_flat_tris.PNG (707.8 KB)
fabric_retopo_flat_quads.PNG (710.7 KB)
fabric_retopo_6.PNG (15.8 KB)
fabric_retopo_5.PNG (14.5 KB)
fabric_retopo_7.PNG (94.2 KB)
fabric_retopo_4.PNG (81.1 KB)

40 posts
Thankyou for this, really useful information.
8531 posts
if you already have them aligned as flat planes
you can use Ray SOP in Min distance mode to store Prim Num Attribute and Prim UVW Attribute to quad version from tri
then use Attrib Interpolate SOP to get the P from world space tri version using those attributes
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
109 posts
tamte
if you already have them aligned as flat planes
you can use Ray SOP in Min distance mode to store Prim Num Attribute and Prim UVW Attribute to quad version from tri
then use Attrib Interpolate SOP to get the P from world space tri version using those attributes

I think I understand but I am going to have to mess around with it before I wrap my head around how that would work. Thank you, that gives me something to try for sure.

danvenn
Thankyou for this, really useful information.

No problem, here is a small update… there were a few typos in my last post so if anyone gets errors from the “UV Transfer” node, you may have to dive in and change the “Connectivity” node at the start of the network (generate_an_attribute_per_shell). Uncheck the box “Use UV Connectivity” and then it shouldn't error out.

Also, if you start getting unwanted tris, bypass the “UV fuse” node at the end of the same network (UV Transfer)shown in the screenshot.

Edited by decksounds - Dec. 10, 2019 17:16:13

Attachments:
uv_transfer_1.PNG (113.0 KB)
uv_transfer_2.PNG (55.1 KB)
instructions.PNG (36.9 KB)

109 posts
Here are some renders showing the simulation vs. the one with sculpted details. Just one example of a reason that going through this may be worth it for some situations.

Edited by decksounds - Dec. 10, 2019 17:32:43

Attachments:
design_1_no_detail.PNG (609.1 KB)
design_1_w_detail.PNG (633.5 KB)
design_1.PNG (701.6 KB)

• Quick Links