Substance Plugin Redshift Workflow

7034   12   3
50 posts
hi,

can someone help me out to getting the new substance plugin work with redshift in houdini? i have tried the most common workflow referencing with “op” etc. but it dont work for me. any advise?

best
Fred
50 posts
hey there,

are there any news about a functional redshift substance plugin houdini workflow?

best
Fred
806 posts
Moin, Fred,

I haven't looked into anything substance-related lately, but since I am “dabbling” a lot with RS and scripting in Houdini these days, maybe I can help you out.
Would you be willing to share a test file that I can play with? I don't have any substances stored anywhere any longer (basically left that ship quite some time ago), but I developed some substance-related tools a few years ago, so I do have a basic understanding of what they are and how they work. I can't promise anything and I won't be able to do it “right away”, but I am interested in this from the RS point of view.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
806 posts
Hmm … doesn't seem to be that important to you. I would have loved to help/cooperate, but maybe you figured it out by yourself.

Fair enough.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
50 posts
hey malbrecht,

thx for your answer. i will give you feedback and send you a scene file.

best
Fred
Edited by Fred Eric - Feb. 11, 2020 08:43:30
50 posts
Greetings malbrecht, attached I am sending you my project file with the Substance to Redshift setup. As soon as I try to integrate the substance file into Redshift the texture is not transferred or Houdini crashes.

best
Fred

Attachments:
substance_to_redshift.zip (644.5 KB)
current_setup.JPG (300.1 KB)

806 posts
Moin,

crashes for me, too, using Houdini 18.0.348. I was able to get a segmentation fault error and a crash-report. I will file a bug report to SeSi.

Hacking around problems I might be able to do. But plain crashs with Segmentation faults … that's something for those to fix who made the booboo in the first place :-)

Marc
---
Good bye.
50 posts
malbrecht
Moin,

crashes for me, too, using Houdini 18.0.348. I was able to get a segmentation fault error and a crash-report. I will file a bug report to SeSi.

Hacking around problems I might be able to do. But plain crashs with Segmentation faults … that's something for those to fix who made the booboo in the first place :-)

Marc

thanks for sending the bug report malbrecht. i appreciate it
806 posts
Update: SideFX say they have fixed a bug on their side and asked me to contact Redshift/Maxon about fixing their side of things. A direct contact between the two companies involved does not seem like a desired thing (this is from both sides, as far as my impression goes), so I tried to negotiate.
Anyway, Redshift will have a crash-fix in the next official 3.x update. The C-channel still has to be provided correctly. That, however, might be something I could look into if still required.

Marc
---
Good bye.
50 posts
hey malbrecht,

thanks a lot for your engagement. lets see what the next updates brings to the substance, redshift workflow.

best
Fred
50 posts
Hey Marc,

there is a new Redshift Version (Experimental 3.0.17) with a lot of great improvement in the substance workflow. i just started to testing it right now. the data flow works. i just got crashs and freezing when skaling up the resolution from the substance node to 2k, 4k etc. i have to figure out if this is triggered because of my hardware or something else. just wanted you to know, and one more time thanks to get in contact with the redshift team.

best
Fred
806 posts
Moin, Fred,

thanks a lot for the update!

I am moving away from Redshift, already deleted all support for that product from my own tools - I am currently looking into alternatives and re-learn how to use Mantra the best. RS is a no-go option now.

Marc
---
Good bye.
50 posts
Hey Marc,

thanks for the infos. I have to admit that i am a little bit currious about the reason why you are moving away from redshift. I started learning houdini one year ago and used redshift right from the beginning.

best
Fred
  • Quick Links