baking udims to 1 uv tile

4946   4   3
75 posts
hi, I'm pretty new with all the houdini stuff still

can anyone tell me what would be the best nodes or steps to bake out a model textured with UDIMs to one tile?
not sure how one would approach this
806 posts
Moin, unknown user,

that's called “baking” in some pubs. Houdini has the “sideFX Labs” (formerly known as “game tools” or something like that), but it also has a “bake texture” node: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/out/baketexture.html [www.sidefx.com]

Whether you use a single UV layout or UDIMs for the source doesn't really matter, the baking process places a virtual camera orthogonal to each polygon and projects whatever data is specified by the UV coordinates of the polygon's corner onto the new map.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
197 posts
Hi,

1.File sop (load geometry)
2.Labs QuickMaterial (assign materials)
3. UV-Layout (reposition shells from UDIM layout to 0-1 layout)
4.Labs MapsBaker

Make sure you install SideFXLabs the get the Labs tools mentioned above.

Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
10 posts
Ambrosiussen
Hi,

1.File sop (load geometry)
2.Labs QuickMaterial (assign materials)
3. UV-Layout (reposition shells from UDIM layout to 0-1 layout)
4.Labs MapsBaker

Make sure you install SideFXLabs the get the Labs tools mentioned above.

Paul

Hi Ambrosiussen,
I'm wondering if you could elaborate a little on the settings of these nodes to achieve this? I'm having difficultly getting a result, I think its falling apart on the 3rd step. I have a 6 x texture UDIM diffuse map which I'm trying to bake down to a single tile for the same mesh. Thanks for your help, these game tools are great.
197 posts
Heks12
Hi Ambrosiussen,
I'm wondering if you could elaborate a little on the settings of these nodes to achieve this? I'm having difficultly getting a result, I think its falling apart on the 3rd step. I have a 6 x texture UDIM diffuse map which I'm trying to bake down to a single tile for the same mesh. Thanks for your help, these game tools are great.

You shouldn't need to do anything with UVLayout to make it work It will automatically do a layout from UDIM to 0-1.
Are you perhaps doing a UVLayout on the “highpoly” too? Here a screenshot of how I would do material consolidation from UDIM> Single map:

Attachments:
UDIM.PNG (29.3 KB)

Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
  • Quick Links