recommended RAM for simulation in houdini

5702   2   1
9 posts
16gb ram its good for simulation in houdini ? does it have limitation ? i can put 32gb ram only to my laptop does that mean i cant do large scale simulations ?
whats the difference between 32gb and 64gb ram when its come to simulations ? i mean if i want to do simulation using 32gb and i did the same simulation with same setting but using 64gb ram does it simulate faster ?
2534 posts
Ram is used to increase the quality or count of the simulation, not make it faster.
16Gb is not enough IMHO. You will be able to run through basic setups, however, which is nice to get you up and running on the process. I would consider 32Gb the lowest amount of RAM to begin simulations.

Actually having more RAM may make your simulations run slower. As you increase the resolution, you increase the simulation time.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
172 posts
marwan412
16gb ram its good for simulation in houdini ? does it have limitation ? i can put 32gb ram only to my laptop does that mean i cant do large scale simulations ?
whats the difference between 32gb and 64gb ram when its come to simulations ? i mean if i want to do simulation using 32gb and i did the same simulation with same setting but using 64gb ram does it simulate faster ?

the more, the better IMHO
just for a hobby, 32+.
for professional use, 64+.
I contribute to the beauty of this world
  • Quick Links