Is there a square texture projection in the Houdini?

5907   7   0
76 posts
How to get a square texture projection in Houdini? The uvproject has different variants, even there is a projection for the torus https://monosnap.com/file/0FQdRRk6k1FSvOLqC1JLYxo3Ja0iw5 [monosnap.com] but there is no usual square texture projection :-) I would be grateful if someone share with me their experience
710 posts
Orthographic is the same as “planar” projection in some other apps, if that's what you mean by square. If you want a cubic projection I believe you will want the UV Unwrap SOP rather than UV Project.
76 posts
DaJuice
Orthographic is the same as “planar” projection in some other apps, if that's what you mean by square. If you want a cubic projection I believe you will want the UV Unwrap SOP rather than UV Project.
I mean this thing https://monosnap.com/file/byhr40mAKq3FgcN69ZTEuGix4ij1hm [monosnap.com] it's the most used projection in simple texturing. Flat projection is useless.
710 posts
The UV Unwrap SOP does exactly that, a cubic a.k.a box projection. Note that the UV Unwrap and Unwrap nodes are not the same thing.
676 posts
Hey dddmod___,

I know what you are missing. So I build this hda. It's very amateurish and not perfect. But maybe it can help you.
Please note that the projection cube cant be rotated. Only translation and Scaling works.

Cheers
CYTE

Attachments:
CY_CubicProjection.hdalc (13.8 KB)

1 posts
Hi CYTE, the HDA works perfect for me, but only in Houdini Apprentice, is there a way to get it working for Houdini FX? many thanks
11 posts
Why can't you just use a tri-planar projection on a shader? That does exactly what you are looking for.
676 posts
Hey israelfornes,

I'm sry, it will only work with Apprentice and Indie. You can take a look inside and rebuild it in FX if you spend a few minutes.

Cheers
CYTE
  • Quick Links