Hserver eating up CPU cycles?

2383   5   2
37 posts
I am having to restart the hserver app each morning. It seems that it will start using 50% or more of the cpu even when Houdini itself is not running. I thought I had seen another thread mentioning this, but I cannot find it in the forums. Is there a fix or is this a known issue? I'm running 18.0.287.

Cheers,
Pete
62 posts
I'll second this … hserver consuming 400% of a 24 core Mac, Houdini 18.0.287, macOS 10.14.6.
Staff
175 posts
@peternicolai could you please try todays build? You are certainly not the only customer that has reported this. I have yet to reproduce this issue so debugging it has been a challenge.

Does hserver spin up all on its own or does it happen after rendering? Anything that is reproducible would be a big help in getting this bug fixed as soon as possible. Bug #101009.

Matt
Matt Warner
Software Developer - Licensing
SideFX
37 posts
hey @mattw I'll try latest later today and report back. Many thanks for the reply. I'm not doing any rendering. lots of vex, python and geo creation. My experience is that I come in each morning. PC has been on overnight most days. Hserver is running about 50% CPU consumption. Rest of PC processes are idle. Seems to have spun up on its own. Restart the service. Drops to normal for the rest of the day and is invisible till next morning. Happy to provide addt'l data points if it will help.
37 posts
@mattw sorry for the delay. I can confirm that installing 18.0.357 has fixed the overnight spin up for me. Cheers,

UPDATE - GAH, I take it back. It just happened again. Hserver and cpu usage was fine when I came in. Started working in UE4, not touching anything Houdini/SideFX related (though HEngine is an active plug-in in the project). After a UE4 hang/crash, went to the task manager and noticed Hserver had gone back to 50% cpu usage.
Pete
Edited by peternicolai - Jan. 24, 2020 13:19:19
6 posts
Hi,

We're getting this at our studio too. Looks like it may be connected to Houdini Engine? When we leave a Max session open too long, HServer seems to freeze up.
  • Quick Links