About substance material sop

9837   18   8
100 posts
in this video https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/sidefx-labs-substance-plugin/ [www.sidefx.com] they talk about substance material sop , I've installed Sidefxlabs on houdini 18 but I find substance in COP but I can't find Substance material sop ? any idea
- David
459 posts
Did you uncheck Production Builds Only in the Labs Update Toolset?
I think Substance SOP is only part of the experimental build (version 302 in my install)

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
100 posts
bonsak
Did you uncheck Production Builds Only in the Labs Update Toolset?
I think Substance SOP is only part of the experimental build (version 302 in my install)

-b
yes it is thanks for your help )
- David
21 posts
Is it working for you? I'm on Houdini Indie 18.0.287 and Labs 304 and I can load the SOP Substance Material but getting lots of crashes.

Without uv's houdini just crash, then with uv's I managed to load a material, but when I tried to enable channel basecolor also houdini crashed unexpectedly.

Maybe I just need a bit more practice with it, I recognize I'm totally new using houdini+substance…
21 posts
I was doing some more tests and with the material used in the tutorial “medieval_tudor_brick.sbsar” it works ok when toggleing the display flag. The first try I did was with “car_iridescent_paint.sbsar” and that crashed Houdini systematically (some times even without a crash report generated properly).

I also experienced sometimes after loading the material that some of the channels are note loading properly, sometimes all looks black, or without difuse, needing to reload (which seems to fix that)

The other problem I noticed was during rendering it seems like the relative op: paths are not working:

[00:06:43] mantra: Unable to load texture 'op:/../../copnet/HEIGHT'
[00:06:45] mantra: Unable to load texture 'op:/../../copnet/NORM'
[00:06:45] mantra: Unable to load texture 'op:/../../copnet/DIFF'
[00:06:45] mantra: Unable to load texture 'op:/../../copnet/METAL'
[00:06:45] mantra: Unable to load texture 'op:/../../copnet/ROUGH'

Acording to the documentation [www.sidefx.com] the relative paths should be using the opfullpath expression. For example, instead of op:../../copnet/NORM using this expression seems to help:

op:`opfullpath('../../copnet/NORM')`

Obviously this tool is still in Beta, but from all the last promotion I received from both SideFX and Adobe/SubstanceTeam I was expecting a bit more mature tool coming from this partership.

I'm not complaining, I know you guys at Houdini and specially Luiz is working hard and well to give us such nice tools! So this is just some feedback from a newbie.

Please let me know if there is a better place to report this kind of problems or even if you are opened to receive some help from the community in order to debug and polish this promising tool and well, Labs in general.

For example it would be very nice to implement a switch for different renders that automatically prepare the matnets. I'm trying to get it work using redshift and I got this weird result compared with the mantra one.

Edited by ocalaf - Dec. 12, 2019 18:53:56

Attachments:
Mantra_Substance.jpg (595.7 KB)
Redshift_Substance.jpg (558.8 KB)

30 posts
Thank you so much, ocalaf, for the pointer towards ‘opfullpath’ thing.
- blog: http://www.jerryhat.com [www.jerryhat.com] - usually features Houdini these days
240 posts
Thanks for the feedback. The latest version of the material sop uses the opfullpath

Sorry about your crashes, if you managed to reproduce one please send it our way.

As with any of our tools, your feedback is critical in finding issues and be confident that were listening and addressing them.

I'm currently working on the Linux version of the plugin and any feedback like this that comes up.

Also give the latest daily build a shot if you run into an issue, to ensure it hasn't been fixed already
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
21 posts
I've been trying a bit more with Redshift and it seems like I'm getting closer, I don't know if there is some gamma mismatch regarding how should be configured the texture samplers of the redshift vopnet, and I also have to resolve some problem with the roughness I guess…

The “auto-refresh” of the textures gets a bit messy when using redshift, it's not easy to get all the cops working in the viewport.

And if you update the Labs tools, it seems like also heps to start with a fresh new project, I tried to load again the SOP Substance material in the project from yesterday and I couldn't get the textures loading properly.

Here is the progress:

Edited by ocalaf - Dec. 13, 2019 18:43:56

Attachments:
redshift_substance_texture_from_cops.jpg (51.4 KB)
Redshift_Substance_v2.jpg (660.9 KB)

50 posts
are there any news when the substance plugin v2 will work with redshift?

best
Fred
29 posts
This is, unfortunately, the closest I can get to getting it working for me.

I checked to make sure the Substance file was good by putting it into Unity and it looked good, so I must be missing something. I have been trying to find tutorial videos or even images of working setups that I can try to compare mine to using this SOP, but I am coming up empty-handed as to how to properly set it up if I am not doing it right.

Edited by instanceid - Jan. 18, 2020 18:57:30
2 posts
about the The “auto-refresh” issues, I ran with similar problem. this is my test based on the realtime viewport.

- doesn't change/refresh the normal when I change the map . ( sometimes even diffuse
- doesn't update the resolution
- merging multiple object with multiple substances material wont work properly.

so I tried to check the bug with Substance SBS archive COP.
the map refreshed just fine when I tried to change sbsar from that node
but
it also really weird that refresh button on substance archive it crashed the houdini.

but by the time I override the Substance SBS archive COP parameter ,it seems it wont refresh properly after that.
21 posts
There is this post in substance forums where this topic was discussed. In the last v3.0 build it should be fixed. Basically redshift didn't like the rgba (32bit) cops used by substance plugin. There are some workarounds (swapping channels, or copying just the ones needed). It also should work exporting the images instead of referencing the COP nodes. Samples and screenshots can be found there: https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/28861/ [www.redshift3d.com]
73 posts
Hi

I am getting the following errors using build 391 with the latest production build of houdini

when I create a substance meterial node.

Error: Bad node type found: labs::sbs_archive in /obj/grid1/substance_material1/copnet.
Warning: Skipping unrecognized parameter “file”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “reload”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “sizemenu”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “substance_parms”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “name_image_plane_from_usage”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “scopergba”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “pscope”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “fscope”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “frange”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “fdropoff”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “fdropfunc”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “foutside”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “flist”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “fmenu”.
Skipping unrecognized parameter “fautoadjust”.
Skipping unrecognized paramete

and when I load a substance file into the node after ignoring the error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “opdef:/labs:op/substance_material?PythonModule”, line 31, in reload
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.287/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 11243, in cook
return _hou.Node_cook(*args, **kwargs)
OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Error while cooking.
2 posts
Need help connecting the Principled Shader to the sbs_archive node correctly.

I am bringing in a test Substance Designer sbsar file for the first time into Houdini and using the Labs sbs_archive node with a reference to the file in COPS. So far so good.

In the /img viewer I can see the main PBR textures coming in and displaying correctly.

My problems start when I try and connect the COPS node references to the Principled Shader. I am following the syntax recommended by the documentation but it will not display in the Scene View on my geometry. I don't fully understand the correct syntax for doing this so my somewhat blundering experiments have only ended in frustration.

EXAMPLE: Connecting the Base Color Texture in the Principled shader using this syntax: op:/img/img1/gamma1{diffuse}
Or this one on the Roughness: op:/img/img1/sbs_archive2{glossiness}

Both gave me an initial console error that path was not found. I do not understand the use of the curly brackets in this case or the correct name reference that should be inside them. I have just been following what I can glean by looking at the documentation in scattered sources.

Does anyone know what the correct syntax is for referencing the COPS nodes in the Principled Shader?

Thanks!
21 posts
There's a pic in another reply which shows the syntax:

Acording to the documentation [www.sidefx.com [www.sidefx.com]] the relative paths should be using the opfullpath expression. For example, instead of op:/img/img1/gamma1{diffuse} you should use this expression:

op:`opfullpath('/img/img1/gamma1/diffuse')`

You should also rename the diffuse plane to C then you can put a null called diffuse and just reference that null called diffuse.

I hope that helps.
1 posts
Is there something like Local Overrides for the imported Substance Material parameters? Or is this impossible because the substance stuff happens in a COPs network? For example: if I wanted to vary one of exposed parameters from the .sbar like a hue slider based on primitive numbers, or the iteration of a foreach metadata block.
4 posts
Hi,

I've been trying to do some simple tests writing out a sbsar file from substance designer to houdini.

I think it's working in mantra, karma viewport but I'm getting missing texture error in karma when I render to mplay.

When I saved the .sbsar file I tried saving the correct channel names, and I also tried copy shufflying them in a cop2Network.

Is this a common issue?

As an example, I've attached the renders from Mantra/KarmaInteractiveViewport/Karma Rendering to mplay

Cheers

Chris
Edited by Chris Russell - Jan. 11, 2021 20:24:54

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (52.4 KB)
Capture3.PNG (757.0 KB)
Capture2.PNG (27.4 KB)

5 posts
Anyone got Substance Archive working in Houdini? I've tested the Archive in Substance Player and Maya working fine, when I load it in Houdini I can't get substance parameters. ANy help will be appreciated, thank you.
5 posts
mujuningaiza
Anyone got Substance Archive working in Houdini? I've tested the Archive in Substance Player and Maya working fine, when I load it in Houdini I can't get substance parameters. ANy help will be appreciated, thank you.

I finally found that Substance archive in Houdini should be old version, I tried Substance Designer 2019 and it worked as expected.
  • Quick Links