Creating a partial edgeloop

5464   10   0
378 posts
Is there any way to a partial edgeloop with the edgeloop tool?
I know you can do it with the edge-divide tool, but that only creates fixed divisions and connects them. It also fails completely with selections that contains edges that share a vertex.
I am looking for something that takes a selection of edges into account and lets me slide the created edgeloop. Just like the edgeloop tool but for a set of edges.
Below is an example of a selection of edges and the result with edge divide. That is not usable at all.
Edited by OneBigTree - Jan. 18, 2020 10:46:00

Attachments:
edgeselection.jpg (39.0 KB)
edge divide.jpg (38.5 KB)

378 posts
I take that as a big NOPE.
Pity…
Staff
120 posts
OneBigTree
Pity…

The above selection will work correctly, and edge divide the correct tool for your example.

Unfortunately, it is quite an old node which means some legacy behavior which is probably unexpected.

In the case of edge divide, the order of your selection determines the direction/order of the new edges. So, if you select ‘around’ your box in one consistent direction, everything should work fine.

Obviously this is not a desirable interaction, and is a known issue which we hope to address.

Cheers,
Scott
Senior Product Designer
Side Effects Software
555 posts
whatabout a partial answer ?

- use polysplit
- click on your edges, don't have to be EXACT -> next step
- set Edge Perc to 0.5
- sliding ? noooooo…hence partial answer
Edited by vusta - Jan. 20, 2020 15:58:25

Attachments:
Partial_Loop.mp4 (1.1 MB)
Loop.gif (271.8 KB)

472 posts
Hi,

or you can use edge divide as described and use the neighbours to interpolate the position between them.

Claiming that all added points are in consecutive order, allows you to determine the right direction of the slide.

Here is an example …

Attachments:
edge_slide.hipnc (98.1 KB)

378 posts
ScottKeating
OneBigTree
Pity…

The above selection will work correctly, and edge divide the correct tool for your example.

Unfortunately, it is quite an old node which means some legacy behavior which is probably unexpected.

In the case of edge divide, the order of your selection determines the direction/order of the new edges. So, if you select ‘around’ your box in one consistent direction, everything should work fine.

Obviously this is not a desirable interaction, and is a known issue which we hope to address.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks for the response. I tried everything and I always get a weird result with edge divide.
Edit: What I find is this: Selecting edges with the laser select tool doesn't take into account the selection order even if I go precisely in the right order over the edges.
I have to single click every single edge in the right order to make it work. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but better than nothing.
I still don't get why the edgeloop tool can not do this.

Edit 2:
this is what I'm looking for. Not only the functionality but also the speed and efficiency:
Edited by OneBigTree - Jan. 20, 2020 19:31:34
378 posts
Aizatulin
Hi,

or you can use edge divide as described and use the neighbours to interpolate the position between them.

Claiming that all added points are in consecutive order, allows you to determine the right direction of the slide.

Here is an example …

Thanks for the example, but I am looking for something you can use fast during modelling without having to type any code and that uses only one node. Like the tools you get in all other 3d apps.
Your method requires far too many steps.
It is the classic Houdini solution.
378 posts
vusta
whatabout a partial answer ?

- use polysplit
- click on your edges, don't have to be EXACT -> next step
- set Edge Perc to 0.5
- sliding ? noooooo…hence partial answer

pre-selected set of edges, also no and still too many steps.

Edit: The edge percentage slider is pretty useless since it uses the direction of every singe edge separately instead of taking combining it:

Edited by OneBigTree - Jan. 20, 2020 19:39:22
171 posts
you may still do this in two these steps
in your XSI video selection is similar to Houdini's Shift+A
order yes, but why to select them not in order :?
and with Edit you may Slide on Surface (with Uniform Distance under the viewport)
Edited by RyuKu - Jan. 20, 2020 20:43:56

Attachments:
edgedivide.gif (1.8 MB)
edit_slide_on_surface_uniform.gif (186.0 KB)

378 posts
ryuku
you may still do this in two these steps
in your XSI video selection is similar to Houdini's Shift+A
order yes, but why to select them not in order :?
and with Edit you may Slide on Surface (with Uniform Distance under the viewport)

I have no problem selecting it in an order - the laser select tool has.
Shift-A helps certainly. But the edit/slide does not always. It works in this specific case with scale because all the edges are in a plane. There are many other cases where sliding a partial edge loop might not be that easy especially if you create more than one parallel partial edge loop. Also you don't have an animatable parameter for the ratio.

I am grateful for all the suggestions and they do help if I'm forced to model in Houdini. But I hope the tools keep evolving to be on par with other applications eventually.
Edited by OneBigTree - Jan. 21, 2020 01:21:56
472 posts
OneBigTree
Aizatulin
Hi,

Here is an example …

Thanks for the example, but I am looking for something you can use fast during modelling without having to type any code and that uses only one node. Like the tools you get in all other 3d apps.
Your method requires far too many steps.
It is the classic Houdini solution.

Here is another version. Just connect the first input of the “slide” wrangle with edge divide and the second input with the base geometry. Maybe you have to recalculate “connect points” in edge divide.
SinglePointControl is a toggle, which allows you to move all points seperately or all by one parameter.

This is of course only an experimental workaround solution and it only works for a single edge line, but you won't probably need much more Clicks than in XSI.

Attachments:
edge_slideC.hipnc (107.0 KB)

• Quick Links